The University of Washington (UW) will be submitting supporting materials for a Documented Categorical Exclusion (DCE) under both the National Environmental Policy Act and the State Environmental Policy Act for the coordinated early work. A preliminary review by Washington State Department of Transportation personnel indicated that a DCE for the BGC should receive approval. Out of an abundance of caution, UW will concurrently submit an Area of Potential Effect report for historic and cultural resources.
Environmental review for the full corridor is being conducted concurrently. Submission of review documents is anticipated in July 2013, and NEPA and SEPA will be fully satisfied no later than the end of September 2013.
No legislative approvals are required for this project. Authorization to execute the BGC has been granted by the UW Regents and Administration. Both entities have authorized the necessary funding and expressed significant enthusiasm for the project.
State and Local Planning
The early coordinated work associated with the BGC is included in the Washington Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) and application for inclusion of the entire corridor has been completed with inclusion anticipated prior to notice of award. Additionally, the project is consistent with all other relevant plans including:
- - Regional Growth Management Plan - VISION 2040
- - Metropolitan Transportation Plan - Transportation 2040
- - Seattle Bicycle Master Plan
- - Seattle Pedestrian Master Plan
- - University Area Transportation Action Strategy
- - Strategic Plan for Seattle’s University District
- - King County Strategic Plan for Public Transportation
- - Sound Transit Long Range Plan