Fleet Services Online Van Training
All drivers of full size cargo and carry-all vans are required to read the following:
Basic Driving Safety Requirements Training:
At the initial driving assignment and prior to vehicle operation, agency managers/supervisors/administrator must verify the following:
- Operator must possess a license valid under Washington State laws per requirements of Subsection 12.30.10.
- The operator must be 18 years of age and have two years of driving experience (particularly if he/she is 18 years of age).
- The operator must report to their manager or supervisor by the next business day any time the applicable license-issuing authority notifies the driver their driver's license has been revoked, suspended, or otherwise determined to be invalid. Subsection 12.30.20.b (4).
- Operators are to have access to Chapter 12 Transportation of the State Administrative and Accounting Manual (SAAM) online at http://www.ofm.wa.gov/policy/default.asp. to review all other policies, as needed, pertaining to the authorized, safe, and efficient operation of vehicles used on official State business
- When driving a Fleet Services vehicle or renting an outside agency rental through the Fleet Services, operators are required to review the Fleet Services Program Policy Manual for Drivers. http://www.washington.edu/facilities/transportation/fleetservices/vehicle_policy/manual.php and all other policies, as needed, pertaining to the authorized, safe, and efficient operation of vehicles used on official State business.
- The operator must also review OFM Section 12.60 Van Management and complete Fleet Services Van Operator Training if the operator is assigned to drive a 12-passenger, cargo or carry all van.
- If the operator turns over the vehicle to another authorized driver, the operator must ensure that the second party meets the Basic Driving Safety Requirements and must visually check the driver’s license.
Van Operator Training
- Van definition: full-size cargo and carry-all vans.
- Operators must meet Basic Driving Safety Requirements Training (Per Above)
- If the operator turns over the van to another authorized driver, the operator must ensure that the second party has completed the Fleet Services Van Operator Training and must visually check the drivers’s license.
- Operators must be aware that transportation of non-college enrolled high school and younger children in 12-passenger full size vans or specialty vehicles not meeting state and federal school bus standards is prohibited. Non-college enrolled high school and younger children may be transported in mini-vans or sedans
- Van operators are to be aware of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 15-Passenger Van Safety web page to include the NHTSA’s consumer advisory “rollover warning to users of 15-passenger vans"
- Van operators are required to review information on the NHTSA Hangtag and Flyer for 15-passenger vans. In Fleet Services and UCAR vehicles, the hang tags will be hanging on the rearview mirror and the flyer is located on the outside of the vehicle packet which is located in the glove box of each van. For assigned vehicles and outside rentals, please print a copy of the hang tag and flyer to take with you on your rental.
- “Reducing The Risk of Rollover Crashes in 15-Passenger Vans” – Hangtag. Refer to the NHTSA website for the latest version of this document at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov.
- “Reducing The Risk of Rollover Crashes in 15-Passenger Vans” – Flyer.
- Van operators are required to review the 15-Passenger Van Drivers Basic Loss Prevention Guide,
- Van operators are recommended to review the Fleet Services Safety Resource link below
Reading the above information completes the online portion of the training. If you have already read and signed the two required van training forms you can now complete the on-line driver training acknowledgement.
- Log on to the Fleet Services' online user system.
- On the front page, enter the "Update Profile " screen.
- Go to the Driver Information area
- If not already entered, input Lic# or confirm the information is valid
- Make sure the Supervisor field is filled out. You must enter your supervisors' UW Net ID in this field if it is blank
- Check off "Training completed"
- Click Save Changes at the bottom left of the screen
- Once you have clicked the "Training Completed" box, an e-mail will be sent to your supervisor to verify they have knowledge of your completed training and to confirm they also have the two completed forms
- If you utilize the Fleet Services on-line van training system, Fleet Services will send you training update notices prior to training expiration.(Training is valid two years from drivers acknowledgement date)