12-Passenger vans to be phased out
After careful consideration, Fleet Services has decided to replace all 12-passenger vans in the fleet with UCAR-ready 7-passenger minivans by September 25, 2013. Inherent safety issues with the 12-passenger van design, along with steep increases in insurance premiums and higher operating and training costs have pushed the per-seat cost of the vans beyond that of the much safer minivan.
We believe the safety features and convenience of the 41 new 7-passenger Dodge Grand Caravans will provide a better option for our customers in the long term. Integrating the minivans into the successful UCAR program will allow customers to reserve and access them 24 hours a day/7 days a week from several campus locations. All the new vans are expected to be available starting fall quarter.
Please take a minute to read through details of the transition below:
- Fleet Services will replace all 12-passenger vans with new 7-passenger Dodge Grand Caravans by September 25, 2013.
- Between July 1 and September 24, 2013 12-passenger vans will be available at the new rate of $67.90 per day or $13.58 per hour, which more accurately reflects Fleet Services’ actual costs.
- Fleet currently has twelve 7-passenger vans available, with 41 more on order to arrive by fall quarter 2013.
- In the interest of safety, departments are encouraged to make the transition early. If demand for 7-passenger vans exceeds Fleet Services’ supply during the transition period, Fleet Services will buy down the rental rate for outside minivan rentals to match the UW rental rate.
- All new 7-passenger vans will be integrated into the UCAR program and available to customers on a 24 hour a day basis at several campus locations.
- Cargo vans will be available for departments that use 12-passenger vans primarily for transporting gear to field stations.
- Customers with Full Size Passenger Van driver certifications set to expire before September 25 must contact Fleet to request an extension if they plan to continue to drive the 12-passenger van through that date.
- To support clients renting 12-passenger vans during summer quarter, 12-passenger van training will be offered on July 17, July 30 and August 13 with sessions held between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. or 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. Fleet Services strongly encourages customers to begin using the 7-passenger vans for which only basic driver safety training is required.
If you have any concerns or questions regarding this transition, please contact us at (206) 685-1566 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to continuing to provide for your UW vehicle needs.