The University of Washington: Facilities Services

U-PASS Student


Student U-PASS

U-PASS powered by ORCA is a universal program for all eligible students on the Seattle campus. Most students who pay the Service & Activities Fee (SAF) are U-PASS members and are required to pay the U-PASS fee. Students not eligible for Universal U-PASS can purchase U-PASS membership.

Universal student U-PASS

The following students are automatically U-PASS members through universal student U-PASS:

  • Students registered in state-funded courses (except students who are part of the state tuition exemption program); and
  • Students registered for classes and enrolled in a fee based degree major through Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) who pay the Services and Activities Fee (SAF).

Students not eligible for Universal U-PASS, see Optional Purchased Student U-PASS below

The $76.00 per Quarter U-PASS fee that appears on student tuition statements allows all students to access the benefits of U-PASS membership, including:

  • Unlimited rides on King County Metro, Community Transit, Pierce Transit*, Kitsap Transit, or Everett Transit bus services and on Sound Transit’s buses, Link Light Rail and Sounder Trains.
  • Full fare coverage on King County Water Taxis
  • Full fare coverage on Seattle Streetcar
  • Unlimited rides on NightRide
  • Discounted carpool parking
  • Vanpool fare subsidy
  • Low membership rate for Zipcar (now available for students 18-21)
  • Discounts and special offers at more than 50 local merchants
  • Discounts on helmets, lights, pedometers and more at Hall Health (Wellness Resource Center)

*Effective January 1, 2012, will not include Intercity Transit Olympia Express buses

Important U-PASS Dates

U-PASS Dates Chart

When can I use it on transit?

New members

If you registered Your U-PASS will be active
9 + days before quarter start one week prior to quarter start
less than 9 days before quarter start 24 to 48 hours after you register

Continuing members

To maintain your U-PASS activation between quarters, you must be registered for classes 9 days prior to the next quarter start. If you do not do this, your U-PASS will be deactivated and will be reactivated for transit 24 to 48 hours after you register.

Registered for classes Fall/Winter/Spring but not Summer quarter? You are not eligible to purchase a student U-PASS for the summer, but may be eligible to purchase a TEMP Pass if you meet the criteria for a UW temporary, hourly employee.

Activation of your U-PASS powered by ORCA

To finalize the activation of your U-PASS for use on transit, you must tap your card on an ORCA card reader within 60 days of U-PASS issuance. Tapping your card on the ORCA reader updates your chip and finalizes activation of your U-PASS for transit. Students who do not finalize activation within 60 days must submit a Reactivation Request. Your U-PASS will be available for transit 24 to 48 hours after you submit your reactivation request.

Do you have questions or are you having issues with your new U-PASS powered by ORCA?

Report a problem

Terms of Use

As part of the transition to the U-PASS with transit powered by ORCA in the fall, U-PASS members will be required to acknowledge that they have read and accept the new U-PASS Terms of Use. Open U-PASS terms of use in a new window.

All U-PASS members are bound by the U-PASS Program Terms of Use as stated in Administrative Policy Statement 53.4. Misuse of the U-PASS is subject to sanctions and may subject the parties to possible action under the General Conduct Code (Chapter 478–124 WAC) or the Student Conduct Code (Chapter 478–120 WAC).

U-PASS Fees for Students Who Withdraw From Classes

U-PASS membership will be deactivated when a student withdraws from classes. Some students may be eligible for a credit of all or part of the U-PASS fee.

If you withdraw Percent of your U-PASS fee that will be credited to you
1st-7th calendar day of quarter 100 percent
8th-30th calendar day of quarter 50 percent
31st calendar day of quarter and later no credit will be given

U-PASS Replacement

You must inform the Husky Card Office at once if you believe your Husky Card has been lost or stolen. The best way to report a lost or stolen Husky Card is through the Husky Card Online Office, where you can suspend activity on your Husky Card Account until the Husky Card is found or replaced. You may also contact the Husky Card Account & ID Center M-F 8am-5pm at 206-543-7222 or by email at

It is your responsibility to take care of your Husky Card. If your card is lost or damaged and you require a replacement, you will be charged a replacement fee.

Your U-PASS powered by ORCA will be transferred electronically when your new Husky Card is printed and will be available for use 24 to 48 hours after card replacement. You must use your Husky Card on an ORCA card reader within 60 days of receiving your replacement Husky Card to finalize your U-PASS activation.

There is no replacement fee for U-PASS powered by ORCA , however, you may pay a replacement fee of $20 for your Husky Card. To get a replacement Husky Card, please contact the Husky Card Account & ID Center.

Other Information

For a full explanation of the U-PASS as a student fee, see online Student Guide, “Tuition and Fees” and,

Memorandum of Understanding Regarding Implementation of a Universal Student U-PASS

Optional purchased student U-PASS

The following students are not eligible for universal U-PASS:

However, they may be able to purchase an optional U-PASS membership. See link below for more information.

  • Non-Matriculated Distance Learning students;
  • Professional & Continuing Education (PCE) students taking credit courses not on the Seattle campus excluding online fee-based degree students
  • UW Bothell and Tacoma students; Visiting students who are not enrolled at UW;
  • students registering through the ACCESS Program
  • students in the PCE English Language programs including ESL

Find out more about purchasing an optional U-PASS membership for PCE, ESL, ACCESS, tuition-exempt, and other students who do not pay the services & activity fee with their tuition

Early Fall Start U-PASS

Students participating in the Early Fall Start program or an academic program that starts before September 19, 2014 may purchase an Early Start U-PASS or parking permit. If you are participating in the Early Fall Start program, you have been pre-approved to purchase an Early Start U-PASS or parking permit by the Early Fall Start program. Find Out More

Read more about the student Universal U-PASS initiative.