Rules of the Road
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 12:30pm Location: HUB, room 238
Most of us have been on one, if not both sides, of a conflict between a bicycle and motor vehicle. Much of the confusion and frustration surrounding these conflicts arises because one, if not both, parties are unaware of or not observing basic traffic principles. Buck this trend by learning about:
- How traffic law specifically applies to bicycles
- Basic principles of traffic law pertaining to all vehicles on the road
- How following the rules of the road will increase your safety, efficiency, and enjoyment of riding
Open House: Seattle Department of Transportation Bicycle Master Plan Update
Date: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - 5:30-7:30pm. Drop-ins are welcome. Location: Gould Hall, Gould Court
Did you know that the Seattle Department of Transportation is currently updating its Bicycle Master Plan? Let your voice be heard at the City’s open house right here at the UW! The Plan’s vision is to make riding a bicycle a comfortable and integral part of daily life in Seattle for people of all ages and abilities. How cool is that?! At this open house, SDOT will be collecting feedback on various aspects of the Bicycle Master Plan Update:
- Citywide map of proposed bike facilities (bike lanes, greenways, cycle tracks, and more)
- Which streets and areas do you ride on? Where would you like to ride? Where do you see gaps in Seattle’s bike network?
- What are the trade-offs of adding more bike improvements in various neighborhoods throughout the city?
- How would you prioritize programs and actions to encourage more and safer bike riding?
Winter Bike Maintenance
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 12:30pm Location: HUB, room 238
Maintaining your bike is especially important during winter in order to keep you riding smoothly and safely. In this popular class, Cascade Bicycle Ambassadors will demystify basic winter bike maintenance with tips and techniques. Class participants will learn answers to questions like, “Why aren’t my gears shifting?” “Why isn’t my bike stopping?” and “What is that grinding noise?” Come get up to speed on simple maintenance techniques to keep your bike in tip-top shape as you roll through winter. Techniques will include:
- Making minor adjustments to brakes and shifting
- Cleaning and lubing a chain
- Cleaning and inspecting brake pads
- Maintaining gears
Holiday Gifts for Bicyclists
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:30pm Location: HUB, room 238
Don’t miss out on the last class of the Ride in the Rain season! In Holiday Gifts for Bicyclists, we’ll cover more bag, bike, accessory, lights, and fender gift options than you can shake a spoke at! We’ll also be joined by representatives from the Student Health Advisory Quorum who will have discounted helmets, lights, locks, mirrors, and bells available for purchase at the end of the class. See you there!
Ride in the Rain Celebration Luncheon
Will you make at least 20 one-way bicycle trips during the month of November? You will?! Well then, you’ll qualify for the Annual Ride in the Rain Recognition and Awards Luncheon. Here are the details for this year’s Luncheon:
- Location: UW Tower Cafeteria
- Date: Tuesday, December 11th, 2012
- Time: 11:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Be on the lookout for a Save the Date in November!