- Commuter Services Home
- TS Fast Links
- About Us
- Events & Promotions
- Getting to Campus
- Products and Payments
- U-PASS & TEMP Pass
- Event & Arranged Parking
- Citations & Appeals
- Husky Sports & Athletics
- Commute Champion
- Policies & Committees
- Contact Us
- Mechanically Issued Fees
- Special Designator Fees
Quarterly/Annual Carpool permits are a flexible, cost-saving commute option for a minimum of 2 UW employees or students, one of which must be a UW employee.
Who can purchase it?
IMPORTANT CHANGE TO PROGRAM: Under the new Universal U-PASS Program adopted by the ASUW and GPSS, students will not receive a gratis U-PASS or reimbursement for the U-PASS fee. Faculty and staff carpool participants will continue to receive the gratis U-PASS. Faculty and staff who carpool regularly can obtain a quarterly or annual carpool permit. Students may participate in an organized carpool provided at least one member of the carpool group is an active faculty or staff member. An eligible faculty or staff member can be a permanent-status faculty member, Seattle campus employee, an affiliate, a temporary/hourly employee working at least 3 days a week during the quarter, a reemployed retiree, or an Academic Student Employee (ASE).Harborview employees are not eligible to participate in a permit carpool; please contact Harborview for commuting options.
When can I park?
Carpool permits are usable 7 days a week. All carpool participants must carpool inbound to campus at least 3 days a week.
Where can I use it?
Permits are assigned to a lot when they are created. If the lot assigned to your permit is full, you can automatically park in the overflow lot. If your assigned lot does not have an overflow lot, or if the overflow lot is also full, please stop at a campus gatehouse so that the attendant can give you an alternate lot for the day. Carpool permits are valid in load zones for the posted time. Carpool permits are valid in any unrestricted areas after 4:00 p.m., without stopping at a gatehouse for reassignment.
What about daily use?
Quarterly and annual permits are usable 7 days a week.
How much does it cost?
Carpool Permits cost $423.00 per quarter, with the charge equally split among participants. Up to 3 faculty/staff members of a carpool are eligible to receive a free U-PASS. Students who are included in the carpool will not be eligible for the gratis U-PASS under the Universal U-PASS Program.
What else should I know?
- Vehicle Registration Required: All customers must have a vehicle registered on their account in order to purchase a parking product. To add a vehicle to your account, you must provide a copy of your vehicle registration or other documentation to validate the license plate, make, year, and model of the vehicle. In lieu of the vehicle registration, a photo of the license plate will be accepted.
- All outstanding campus parking violations must be paid.
- UW Seattle employees working off-campus at CTR-affected sites are also eligible for carpool permits, but all members of a carpool must work at the same site (for example, all at UW Seattle campus or all at South Lake Union campus).
- The designated “head of the carpool” must have a valid driver’s license and own or lease a vehicle. A student cannot be designated “head of the carpool”.
- Vehicle changes (additions, deletions, license plate updates) must be reported to Commuter Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carpool Permits are valid during most special events, but, you may be required to park in a different location on the day of the event.
- If the lot assigned to your permit is full, you can automatically park in the overflow lot. If your assigned lot does not have an overflow lot, or if the overflow lot is also full, please stop at a campus gatehouse so that the attendant can give you an alternate lot for the day.
- Carpool permits are valid in load zones for the posted time.
- A carpool must consist of a minimum of 2 UW employees or students, one of which must be a UW employee.
- All carpool members must live more than one mile from campus,see No Carpool Zone Map Or, one mile away from off-campus work site.
- The group must use a logical commute path and not drive past the campus or work site to pick up members.
- All carpool participants agree to share the ride a minimum of 3 days per week.
- Commuting separately: If desired, members may commute separately up to two days per week. The head of the carpool may drive in alone, using the Carpool Permit; other members of the carpool may use their U-PASS to take the bus, or, in the case of faculty and staff, may use Individual Commuter Tickets (ICTs) to park alone. When the head of the carpool is sick or on vacation, he or she may give the permit to other members of the group to use in his/her absence. Improper use of a carpool permit may result in fines and/or disciplinary action.
- Changes in carpool status including separated or inactive members must be reported to Commuter Services immediately. The permit and associated gratis U-PASSes must be returned if the carpool disbands, even during the time the group may be forming a new carpool. Use of a carpool permit after the carpool has disbanded may result in fines and/or disciplinary action.
- Faculty and staff: You may return your permit to Commuter Services at any time for a refund of future days paid. If you elected payroll deductions as your payment type and wish to stop deductions, you MUST return the permit to Commuter Services and sign a stop-deduction form. Any and all complimentary employee U-PASSes assigned under the carpool must be returned at that time in order to cancel the permit. If one member wishes to be removed from the carpool and is unable to retrieve the permit, please contact our office for assistance. All members of the carpool remain responsible for payment of the carpool permit fees until the permit is returned and canceled.
- Your refund will be processed in the manner the initial payment was received. If you paid by credit card, you must bring the same card to receive your refund. If you paid by check or in cash, please note that refund amounts in excess of $100 will take 4-6 weeks to process. Husky Card account purchases will be refunded same-day onto your Husky Card. Refunds will ONLY be given to the person who initially paid.
Hang on rearview mirror or display on the driver’s side dash fully visible from the exterior of the vehicle, with the area designator facing the windshield.