- Commuter Services Home
- TS Fast Links
- About Us
- Events & Promotions
- Getting to Campus
- Products and Payments
- U-PASS & TEMP Pass
- Event & Arranged Parking
- Citations & Appeals
- Husky Sports & Athletics
- Commute Champion
- Policies & Committees
- Contact Us
- Mechanically Issued Fees
- Special Designator Fees
Departmental Parking Products
Choosing between Validation Coupons and Departmental Commuter Tickets
Validation Coupons are the better method to use when:
- The visitor will be staying less than 4 hours.
- Departmental Commuter Tickets (DCTs) cannot be distributed in advance.
Departmental Commuter Tickets (DCTs) are the better method to use when:
- The department does not want the visitor to pay initially for parking.
- The visitor will be parking in an area outside gatehouse control.
- The visitor will be staying over 4 hours during the day or over 60 minutes after 4 p.m. weekdays or on Saturdays. (In such cases, either payment method costs the same.)
- The visitor will be leaving when gatehouses are closed, i.e., 9 p.m. - 6 a.m. weekdays and noon Saturdays - 6 a.m. Mondays
Departmental Commuter Tickets (DCTs)
University departments may order Departmental Commuter Tickets (DCTs) to be used for visitors or guests who are not regular UW employees working on main campus. Also available are Night DCTs for visitors who arrive on campus after 4 p. m. weekdays or on Saturday mornings. Night DCTs expire at 7:30 a.m. the following morning.
Day and Night DCTs are sold in increments of 5 tickets at $15.00 each for daytime and $5.00 each for night. Universal Departmental Commuter Tickets (see below) are more expensive ($20.00 apiece) than regular DCTs, but allow special guests to park anywhere except certain restricted areas. All prices include Washington state sales tax. However, sales tax is not charged when a departmental purchase is charged to an university budget number.
Departmental Commuter Tickets (DCTs) and Universal Departmental Commuter Tickets are not valid for parking at athletic events. DCTs are not available for issue in the Triangle Garage.
To order, fill out the online order form.
Due to the value, Departmental Commuter Tickets must be picked up from Commuter Services and cannot be sent through campus mail. Please allow five business days for processing. Processing times may be longer during the beginning of each quarter.
A 10% restocking fee will be charged for all returned Departmental Commuter Tickets.
A 10% rush order fee will be charged to all DCT orders where pickup is required in less than 5 business days
Universal Departmental Commuter Tickets
Universal Departmental Commuter Tickets are a more costly type of parking permit because they are more flexible. With Universal DCTs, departments can provide parking to very important departmental visitors for almost any location on campus for the posted time except in:
- wheelchair/disability spaces
- specially designated spaces such as University Vehicle, Physical Plant, Service Vehicle, and Truck-Only spaces
- parking meters
As always, parking in any university lot is provided on a space-available basis.
Universal Departmental Commuter Tickets are sold via an online order form. Departments send each visitor a Universal DCT and a copy of the User Information Sheet before their visit.
Universal Departmental Commuter tickets are not valid for parking at athletic events.
A 10% restocking fee will be charged for all returned Universal Departmental Commuter Tickets.
A 10% rush order fee will be charged to all Universal Departmental Commuter Ticket orders where pickup is required in less than 5 business days
Validation Coupons are accepted in all UW Seattle campus lots/garages, except for the Surgery Pavilion Garage.
Validation Coupons may be used in the Triangle Garage, but not in the Surgery Pavilion Garage, by UW Medical Center patients and visitors of patients. Parking validation in the Triangle Garage is handled by UW Medical Center. Questions about the UWMC Parking Validation Program, Triangle Garage operational procedures, or the parking refund process for the Triangle Garage should be directed to the UWMC parking manager 206-598-4151.
On the front of each Validation Coupon (rectangular, peel-and-stick label) is a barcode, the name of the departmental budget being charged, and the expiration date of the coupon. The Validation Coupon program works as follows:
- The visitor purchases a parking permit at a campus gatehouse and leaves it face up on the vehicle’s dashboard. The visitor will pay on entry by cash or Mastercard/Visa.
- Before leaving the department, the visitor is given a Validation Coupon.
- Before leaving campus, the visitor affixes the sticker to the back of the parking permit. [Note: for auditing reasons, a Parking Specialist at the gatehouses cannot affix the sticker to the permit.]
- The visitor presents the permit validated with the sticker to a gatehouse Parking Specialist upon exit and receives a refund. [Note: parking validation must be processed the same day that the permit is purchased and when gatehouses are open, i.e., 6 a.m. - 9 p.m. weekdays and 7 a.m. - noon on Saturdays.]
- The department is charged the fee associated with the actual time the visitor was parked on campus.
Departments request Validation Coupons in the same manner in which they order Departmental Commuter Tickets. See the online order form. Upon ordering the Validation Coupons, the budget is only charged for the printing costs of the coupons. The appropriate budget number is not charged for parking until a parking permit with Validation Coupon is presented for refund at a campus gatehouse. The charge to the departmental budget is only the actual amount of the parking fee (see fee table above). In many situations, the Validation Coupon method is a more cost-effective method for university departments to pay for visitor parking.
Validation Coupons must be signed for when picked up from Commuter Services. They cannot be mailed to departments. When the Validation Coupon order is complete, the department receives via email additional information on the Validation Coupon Program. In addition, once the order is retrived from our office, accounting-related information is mailed to the departmental budget coordinator. Validation Coupons should only be distributed on the day they will be used. Validation Coupons should NOT be distributed ahead of time for use at a later date, as the coupons do expire.
A 10% rush order fee will be charged to all Validation Coupon orders where pickup is required in less than 5 business days
Short Term Special Permits
Visitors who are spending several consecutive days on campus may find Short Term Special Permits a very convenient parking method. This type of permit, available at day and evening parking rates, is frequently issued to conference and workshop participants. Call our Sales and Administration Office at 206-221-3701 for details.
A 10% restocking fee will be charged for all returned budget charged Short Term permits.
A 10% rush order fee will be charged to all Short Term Special Permit orders where pickup is required in less than 5 business days
Departmental Out of Area Permits
The Departmental Out-of-Area permit, when combined with a valid University of Washington daytime permit, enables department employees to conduct University business more efficiently by allowing them to park in centrally located campus lots for up to 3 hours.
To order the Departmental Out-of-Area Permit, please fill out an online Departmental Parking Products Request.
A 10% restocking fee will be charged for all returned Departmental Out-of-Area permits.
A 10% rush order fee will be charged to all Departmental Out-of-Area permit orders where pickup is required in less than 5 business days
The Departmental Out-of-Area permit:
- Must be displayed in conjunction with a valid University of Washington daytime parking permit. It is not, by itself, a valid parking permit.
- Must be displayed with the printed side facing up.
- Allows out of area parking for up to 3 hours.
- Allows out-of-area parking in the following lots only:
- Central Campus [C03, C04, C05]
- North Campus [N01, N20, N21, N25]
- East Campus [E02, E08, E10]
- South Campus [S01]
- West Campus [W10, W12, W28, W35, W39, W45, W46]
- Is NOT valid for parking in lots not included on the above list, metered stalls, service vehicle stalls, reserved areas or stalls, load/unload zones for longer than the posted time limit, and areas not designated for parking.
- The 2013-14 Departmental Out of Area permit is valid from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014.
- The fee is not pro-rated – the cost remains the same throughout the year, regardless of the day on which it is ordered.
- The fee is not refundable – please confirm your department’s need for this permit before ordering.
- Lost or stolen permits must be replaced at the full cost of the permit. Please report lost or stolen permits to us immediately.
Rates and Fees
|Departmental Commuter Tickets*||$15.00/each|
|Night Dept Commuter Tickets*||$5.00/each|
|Universal Departmental Commuter Ticket*||$20.00 each|
|Departmental Out of Area Permit||$240.00 per permit.|
|Validation Coupon**||$0.20/each for printing|
|Day short term permit*||$6.44/day|
|Night short term permit*||$2.15/day|
*a 10% fee restocking fee will be charged for these returned items
**Budget will be charged for parking when validation coupon redeemed. Budget will only be charged the printing fee for any unused validation coupons. Validation coupons may not be returned for refund.
Daily, visitor, and arranged parking at the UW Tower
The UW Tower garage allows several options for providing parking for visitors and events. Find out about daily, visitor, and arranged parking at UW Tower