A Strategy-Focused Organization
Facilities Services is a strategy-focused organization, utilizing the Balanced Scorecard and Lean to focus and align the organization around our strategic objectives to achieve the Facilities Services vision: to be a world class organization providing exceptional service anywhere, anytime, to enable discovery and excellence at the University of Washington.
We utilize the Balanced Scorecard to focus and align the organization around our strategic objectives and to fulfill our mission to "learn, adapt, and innovate to preserve physical assets and deliver best services to enable the University's pursuit of excellence and discovery."
Data is gathered and reported quarterly in a forum that enables detailed discussion of results between content experts and high-level FS leaders; measure results are then used to inform strategic decision-making by the senior leadership team. Similar strategic quarterly reviews are held in each FS department, with metrics reflecting the operational roles of the various units in carrying out the overall FS strategy.
Facilities Services' current strategic priorities include:
- Implementing Lean, organizational efficiencies and continuous process improvements
- Realigning strategies to more efficiently reduce campus-wide deferred maintenance within available resources
- Investing and improving processes to increase resources available to provide essential services
- Partnering and investing in green and sustainable technology
- Developing and implementing the Facilities Academy to enhance the skills of all FS employees to maintain a sufficiently skilled workforce able to sustain a quality student, faculty and research environment.