Decontamination Form + Special Consideration Items
Click here for the Notice of Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Form
Any laboratory equipment contaminated or potentially contaminated with biological material, chemicals, or radio-isotopes must be decontaminated prior to delivery to Surplus Property. In addition, a Notice of Laboratory Equipment Decontamination Form must be completed and affixed to the item.
Biohazard stickers: Please remove, deface, or mark through any biohazard stickers applied to items that have been decontaminated and are intended for surplussing.
These items include (but are not limited to):
|Biological safety cabinets||Hoods|
|Dead tanks||Microwave ovens|
|Glassware & plasticware||Storage cabinets & lockers (used to store chemicals or hazardous waste)|
|Glass & plastic containers||Glove boxes|
|Water baths||Flammable cabinets|
The following items must be reviewed and approved for surplussing by EH&S prior to moving:
- Chemical Products (commercial use) i.e. paint, cleaners, floor wax, etc. Main line for EH&S: 206-543-7262.
Any equipment containing a radioactive source must be checked by EH&S Radiation Safety Division prior to surplussing and public sale. Please contact Molly McGee in the Radiation Safety Office at email@example.com or (206) 685-5311. The following items MUST be okayed and cleared by Environmental Health & Safety prior to surplussing:
- Gas chromatographs
- Germicidal UV lamps
- Scintillation counters
- X-ray equipment
- Any item with a radioactive sticker
The following items CANNOT be accepted by Surplus Property:
- All chemicals (except those listed above)
- Needles & Syringes
- Capacitors & Transformers (note: some equipment may contain transformers, such as x-ray equipment and electron microscopes; these transformers may be accepted but must be drained of oil and the oil must have been tested and certified by EH&S as being non-PCB)
- Gas Cylinders, Pressurized Containers / Vessels
- Instruments Containing Mercury (temperature or pressure measurement devices)
- Materials containing Asbestos, including but not limited to: Autoclaves, Laboratory ovens, older furnaces, fire-proof file cabinets, anything that produces high heat
- Please contact EH&S for information about removal of such items.