UW Dream Project

The Magic Begins: Part I

url

By Jeremy Webb, UW Dream Project AmeriCorps Member

“I have some good news and bad news. I’ll tell you the bad news first. The funding that we thought we were going to get has been cut and with that, goes your AmeriCorps position.”

“Well that sucks. And the good news?”

“We applied to another grant for funding so all hope is not lost.”

“I won’t hold my breath.”

This is the conversation that happened less than two hours after I had first been offered the AmeriCorps position. In the span of less than the length of most movies, I had been hired and subsequently unemployed.

It hit me hard. Since it was still the summer, I immediately had to start applying to entry level lab jobs around the area and the turnover of applications turning into interviews was very low.

Then, I got the call (again) two weeks later.

“We got the grant and now have the funding for your position. It is yours if you want it.”

Less than a week later I accepted the offer and September 3rd I came into the office for the first time as an AmeriCorps member.  Thank god my partner-in-crime Michael joined me a month later, otherwise I would have gone crazy. My first month was busy, exciting, and extremely stressful but I loved every moment of it.

I knew by accepting this offer that I was choosing with my heart rather than my brain but at this age, I could afford to do it. (Just barely. Pun intended. AmeriCorps members do not make a whole lot.) My future is in limbo at the moment but I know that at the very least, the next ten months will keep me on the edge of my seat and make me feel blessed that I did choose to become an AmeriCorps member with Dream Project. A wise man once said “It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” I full heartily agree that the real magic is still on the horizon waiting to be discovered.