UW Dream Project

Live the Dream 2013 Recap

075

This year’s Live the Dream scholarship event took place on Tuesday, May 14, to award $1,000 scholarships to 15 Dream Project students. The 2013 Live the Dream Recipients are:
Oscar Alejandre, AAA High School
Savannah Williams, ACE High School
Pacharamart Khong-Kha-Ngam, Auburn High School
Andry Xevandry, Chief Sealth High School
Katie Bui, Cleveland High School
Medina Khedir, Cleveland High School
Gamaliel Diaz, Federal Way High School
Huan Nguyen, Foster High School
Andrea Sanchez-Zevala, Global Connections High School
Angela Nguyen, Health Sciences and Human Services High School
Cesar Garcia, Ida B. Wells High School
Meili Powell, Ingraham High School
Maria Paguada, Kent-Meridian High School
Roedah Mansour, Renton High School
Julyanne Faaaliga, Technology, Engineering & Communications High School

The following post comes from Monica Lee, the mentor of a Live the Dream scholarship recipient.

Live the Dream Scholarships are awarded to UW-bound Dream Scholars from each of the partner high schools based on participation in Dream Project. Each student receives a $1000 scholarship and is invited to a ceremony along with their families and counselors. This year I had the honor of attending this event as a mentor of a recipient, Medina Khedir.

Not many mentors can say that their mentee received the Live the Dream Scholarship. I could revel in the fact that my mentee was accepted to UW and won the scholarship, but it’s not about me or what I did. It’s about recognizing her hard work and determination to be the first in her family to attend college, which is what the Live the Dream Scholarship and ceremony are all about. Students, both in high school and from UW, shared their Dream Project experiences. Grant Kollet, director of First Year Programs on campus, spoke directly to the recipients reiterating that this night was about them.

Sometimes I don’t think mentors realize what we’re volunteering to do. We’re not there to nag or act as parents to mentees, but to encourage and guide as friends. Meeting Medina’s family, including her parents, that night it really occurred to me that creating a real friendship with her was the most important aspect of mentorship. She already has parents–whether or not they helped her with the college applications process doesn’t matter, but what makes a successful mentor/mentee partnership is friendship. I was lucky to be paired with Medina–someone who worked so hard, someone I can laugh with. I am extremely proud of her and can’t wait to have lunches together on campus, both as students!