Technology and Universal Design
DO-IT maintains an extensive collection of publications, video presentations, and web resources concerning information technology and universal design, including the following. Most video presentations are freely available on the website and also for sale in DVD format. Permission is granted to reproduce DO-IT materials in whole or in part as long as the source is acknowledged.
- AccessSTEM - the Alliance for Students with Disabilities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics maintains a searchable Knowledge Base of frequently asked questions, case studies, and promising practices related to assistive technology, universal design, and accommodating people with disabilities in STEM.
- AccessComputing - the Alliance for Access to Computing Careers features a searchable Knowledge Base of frequently asked questions, case studies, and promising practices related to increasing the representation of people with disabilities in computing careers.
- UW Information Technology Accessibility - a comprehensive collection of resources for making IT accessible to people with disabilities.
- AccessDL is for discussing and sharing resources regarding issues related to creating accessible distance learning courses.
Overview and Value of Technology Access for People with Disabilities
- Access to Technology: An Online Tutorial - how people with disabilities use computers and tells how electronic and information technology can be made accessible; and publications, videos, and web resources for further study.
- Video and Publication - Access to Technology in the Workplace - how people with disabilities use computers, how electronic and information technology can be made accessible, and lists resources for further study.
- Video and Publication - Computer Access: In Our Own Words - students with disabilities demonstrate the uses of adaptive technology and computer applications.
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects - how teachers can integrate universal design into core curriculum.
- Universal Design: Principles, Process, and Applications - universal design principles and applications.
- Bridging the Digital Divide in Postsecondary Education: Technology Access for Youth with Disabilities - discussion of how technology can impact the lives of students with disabilities.
- Video and Publication - Opening Doors: Mentoring on the Internet - how students develop supportive relationships with adult mentors on the Internet.
- Video and Publication - Taking Charge: Stories of Success and Self-Determination - testimonials from youth and adults with disabilities regarding living successful, self-determined lives.
- Video and Publication - Camp: Beyond Summer - how to add accessible Internet experiences to summer camp programs for children and youth with disabilities.
- Disability-Related Resources on the Internet - a comprehensive collection of online resources.
- DO-IT Internet Lessons - a series of lessons focusing on science, engineering, technology, disabilities, college preparation, career planning, and more.
- Video and Publication - Working Together: People with Disabilities and Computer Technology - adaptive technology and computer applications for people with disabilities.
- Video and Publication - Working Together: Computers and People with Learning Disabilities - students and workers with learning disabilities demonstrate computer-based tools and strategies.
- Video and Publication - Working Together: Computers and People with Mobility Impairments - people with mobility impairments demonstrate computer access technology.
- Video and Publication - Working Together: Computers and People with Sensory Impairments - people with visual and hearing impairments demonstrate computer technology for school and work.
- Technology used by DO-IT Scholars - computer hardware and software used by students with disabilities.
- Resources on Adaptive Technology - technology that provides access to computing resources for people with disabilities.
Universal/Accessible Design of Information Technology
- Information Technology in Education Accessibility Checklist - AccessIT's checklist for assuring technology in schools is accessible to all students.
- Video and Publication - Equal Access: Computer Labs - how to make computer labs accessible to people with disabilities.
- Web Accessibility: Guidelines for Administrators - guidance for non-technical administrators regarding how to assure that websites in their organizations are accessible to everyone.
- Video and Publication - World Wide Access: Accessible Web Design - how to make Web pages accessible to people with disabilities.
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects - options for instructors of web design courses and other instructors who have students create web pages as an activity in their classes to integrate accessibility content within any course.
- Resources on Accessible Web design - designing web pages that are universally accessible.
- Video and Publication - Real Connections: Making Distance Learning Accessible to Everyone - guidelines for designing courses to fully include all students.
- Designing Software that is Accessible to Individuals with Disabilities - accessibility guidelines for software and resources.
- Use of Telecommunications Products by People with Disabilities - guidelines and resources for making telecommunication products accessible to everyone.
- Creating Video Products that are Accessible to People with Sensory Impairments - applying universal design principles to videos and other multimedia products.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Libraries - accessibility considerations for libraries.
- Resources on Universal Design - definition, principles, applications, and checklists for a wide variety of applications of universal design.