STEM Resources for Teachers
Accessible Computing Technology
- Checklist for Making Computer Labs Accessible to Students with disabilities.
A checklist for reviewing the accommodations and universal design of computer labs.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Computer Labs
How to make computer labs accessible to people with disabilities.
- Introduction to the Screen Reader
A short video demonstrating how screen readers assist people who are blind to navigate the web and more. Produced by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Division of Information Technology, featuring Neal Ewers of the Trace Research Centre.
- Working Together: Computers and People with Learning Disabilities
Students and workers with learning disabilities demonstrate computer-based tools and strategies.
- Working Together: Computers and People with Mobility Impairments
People with mobility impairments demonstrate computer access technology.
- Working Together: Computers and People with Sensory Impairments
People with visual and hearing impairments demonstrate computer technology for school and work.
- Working Together: People with Disabilities and Computer Technology
Adaptive technology and computer applications for people with disabilities.
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects
Options for instructors of web design courses and other instructors who have students create web pages as an activity in their classes to integrate accessibility content within any course.
- World Wide Access: Accessible Web Design
How to make web pages accessible to people with disabilities.
Accessible Science Equipment
- Accessible Science Equipment
Examples of products to help make science labs accessible to all students.
- Accessible Technology
Procuring, developing, and using technology that is accessible to students with disabilities.
Engaging Students with Disabilities in Science
- Broadening Participation in Science and Engineering by Welcoming Participants with Disabilities
How to make projects welcoming and accessible to participants with disabilities.
- Checklist for Making Science Labs Accessible to Students with Disabilities
A checklist for reviewing the accommodations and universal design of science labs.
- Equal Access: Science and Students with Sensory Impairments
Designing science education to maximize the learning of all students.
- Making Math, Science and Technology Instruction Accessible to Students with Disabilities: A Resource for Teachers and Teacher Educators
Comprehensive materials and resources to help science and math teachers fully include students with disabilities in their classes and labs.
- Making Science Labs Accessible to Students with Disabilities
Designing science labs so that all students can fully participate.
- MESA Curriculum Supplement
Accommodations for students with disabilities in classes using MESA integrated science and mathematics materials.
- The Winning Equation: Access + Attitude = Success in Math and Science
Strategies for fully including students with disabilities in science and math activities.
- Working Together: Science Teachers and Students with Disabilities
Legal issues, accommodation strategies, and resources that can be tailored to a specific institution by adding a campus resource list.
Communities of Practice (CoP)
This CoP engages K-12 teachers; postsecondary STEM faculty, other organizations that support STEM educators; faculty who teach STEM to preservice and inservice teachers; STEM leaders in state offices of education.
The Computing Faculty, Administrator and Employer CoP engages the computing community to explore ways to make sustainable changes in computing departments that lead to more inclusive practices and enhance computing fields with the diverse perspectives of individuals with disabilities. Membership includes computing faculty, administrators, industry representatives, and members of professional organizations.
To join a Community of Practice, send an email to email@example.com.
Programs and Projects
Increasing the participation of people with disabilities in computing fields.
Improving engineering fields by increasing the participation of people with disabilities and incorporating their perspectives and expertise.
The Alliance for Students with Disabilities in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
- Exceptional Nurse
Nursing careers/studies, access issues, and information on mentors for people with disabilities.
- Research in Disabilities Education Collaborative Dissemination
Resources from disability-related projects funded by the National Science Foundation.