Resources for Parents and Mentors
The following resources can help parents and mentors who wish to promote the academic and career success of students with disabilities.
- Learn and Earn: Supporting Teens
A video and publication for those helping teenagers with disabilities prepare for careers.
- National Resources for Parents of Children and Youth with Disabilities
Information and resources.
- Washington State Resources for Parents of Children and Youth with Disabilities
Information and resources in Washington State.
- Disability-Related Resources on the Internet
Comprehensive list of resources, including communication opportunities for parents of children with disabilities.
- Mentoring and Peer Support for People with Disabilities
Information, resources, and interaction opportunities.
- College Preparation Resources for Parents and Mentors
Resources focused on postsecondary education.
- Career Preparation Resources for Parents and Mentors
Resources focused on career development.
- Personal Assistance Services
A toolkit for youth transitioning to adulthood.
- Age of Majority: Preparing Your Child for Making Good Choices
Involving young people in setting their own high school goals and planning for their transition to adulthood.
- IDEA 1997 Transition Issues: The IEP for Transition Aged Students
The requirements for transition under IDEA, the composition and functioning of the Individual Education Program (IEP) Transition Team, and special factors for the IEP Team to consider.
- Person-Centered Planning: A Tool for Transition
Description of person-centered planning, explanation of the benefits of this process, and resources.
- Bullying and Teasing of Youth with Disabilities: Creating Positive School Environments for Effective Inclusion
Definitions of bullying, teasing, and disability harassment; research about bullying and harassment; two effective, comprehensive, whole-school, anti-bullying programs; and recommendations and resources.
- What is Quality Education? Perspectives from Two Students and a Parent
Views on quality education from two individuals with disabilities and a parent of a youth with a disability.
- Integrating Service Systems at the Point of Transition for Youth with Significant Disabilities: A Model that Works
Coordination and integration of various services (e.g. education, vocational rehabilitation, developmental disabilities) so that youth with disabilities receive continued support to maintain and expand their employment and independent living outcomes throughout adulthood.
- Social Activities of Youth with Disabilities
Highlights of the results of the National Longitudinal Study-2 in regard to social activities of youth with disabilities.
Social Security and Supplemental Security Income
- Social Security Administration
Details regarding SS services.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Information about eligibility and procedures.
- Supplemental Security Income (Part 1 of 3): A Bridge to Work
Practical information about how youth can use Social Security work incentives to facilitate a gradual transition from dependence on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) to partial or complete financial independence.
- Supplemental Security Income (Part 2 of 3): So You Have Decided to Apply
Description of the process for applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Supplemental Security Income (Part 3 of 3): Your Right to Appeal
Information about the appeals process, including why many applications are denied, how the decisions are made, and how applicants can respond effectively.