Mentoring and Peer Support for People with Disabilities
The following resources provide a good place to start as you explore ways to encourage young people to reach their highest potential in school, in careers, and in other life experiences.
- Opening Doors: Mentoring on the Internet
Video and publication about how DO-IT youth with disabilities develop supportive relationships with adult mentors on the Internet.
- Opening Doors Through Mentoring: One Program's Experiences Using the Internet
A 1999 article in Information Technology and Disabilities that describes the DO-IT mentoring community.
- Peer Support: What Role Can the Internet Play?
A 1997 article in Information Technology and Disabilities that shares research on the value of online peer support for students with disabilities.
- DO-IT Pals
An e-community of college-bound teens with disabilities and mentors.
- Taking Charge: Stories of Success and Self-Determination, Taking Charge 2, Taking Charge 3
Videos and testimonials from successful youth and adults with disabilities regarding living successful, self-determined lives.
- DO-IT Internet Lessons for Students
Interesting online resources.
- DO-IT Mentors and Volunteers
Information and application forms for mentoring or otherwise volunteering in DO-IT programs.
- Developing a Successful Mentoring Relationship
- Creating an E-Mentoring Community: How DO-IT does it, and how you can do it, too
Guidelines for creating college and career transition programs for teens.
The following links are to useful resources for programs and individuals interested in mentoring and peer support for individuals with disabilities.
- Child Safety on the Information Highway
Keeping young people safe online.
An e-mentoring network for women in engineering and science.
- National Mentoring Partnership
Mentoring opportunities, resources, and guidelines for mentors.
Projects and activities to support youth.
- Group Mentoring: A Study of Mentoring Groups in Three Programs
- Creating Mentoring Opportunities for Youth with Disabilities: Issues and Suggested Strategies
Benefits of mentoring and strategies for mentoring programs.