Mentor Tip: Questions for Protégés
Send this message to the mentors only.
Subject: Mentoring tips on turning questions back
Sometimes an effective way to encourage communication and reflection is a question to the protégé. For example, you might ask:
- What do you think?
- Can you tell me how to do that?
- What choices do you have?
- How did you do that?
- Who helped you make that decision?
- Do you have any role models (teachers, family members, friends, historical figures, etc.) who have handled this type of situation in a positive way?
- Are you happy with how things turned out?
- What would you do differently if you were presented with the situation again?