Sample CBI Agenda
A typical agenda for the six AccessSTEM CBIs included the following activities:
- Welcome from STEM administrators and faculty
- Overview of challenges faced by students with disabilities pursuing STEM and the AccessSTEM project
- Student inputs and/or student panel discussion
- Practitioner stakeholder discussion with respect to the following questions:
- What are some specific things we can do this school year to support and encourage STEM students with disabilities?
- What are some specific things we can do this school year to recruit students with disabilities into STEM programs?
- What are specific ideas for recruiting undeclared freshman and sophomores?
- What are specific ideas for reaching out to high school students?
- Student discussions with respect to the following questions:
- Why do you think there is a smaller proportion of people with disabilities in STEM careers when compared to the rest of the population?
- What specific access issues for students with disabilities might there be in STEM courses and labs?
- At what point in their academic career do you think students with disabilities are turned off by STEM?
- In K-12 schools what are some of the inhibitors (that discourage participation) for students with disabilities to pursue STEM?
- As students, what advice do you have for improving access to STEM education?
- Report out and further discussion
- CBI evaluation