Where can I find tips on making math accessible to students with disabilities?
There are a number of valuable resources about making math accessible available on the web. Here are a few places to look:
- The Accessibility Solutions area of the Design Science website includes a number of articles on making math content accessible to students with disabilities, and also provides background on math accessibility policy issues.
- For guidelines on providing access to scientific and mathematical expressions for all users with disabilities, see Accessible Digital Media Guidelines available on the National Center on Accessible Media website.
For suggestions on math accommodations and teaching strategies, consult some of the following online articles:
- Accommodating Math Students with Learning Disabilities by Rochelle Kenyon.
- Mathematics Strategy Instruction for Middle School Students with Learning Disabilities by Dr. Joseph Gagnon and Dr. Paula Maccini.
- Mathematics for Students with Learning Disabilities from Language-Minority Backgrounds: Recommendations for Teaching by Diane Torres Raborn.
For more information on this topic, consult the following DO-IT Knowledge Base articles Why is accessible math important? and Are there commercial products designed to make math accessible to students with disabilities?
Last update or review: January 18, 2013