Methods Selected to Implement Objectives
Method Selection: People with disabilities face unique barriers to education and employment. These barriers include lack of encouragement; underdeveloped self-determination and self-advocacy skills; little access to successful role models; social isolation; lack of awareness of technology that can increase success; and low expectations from family, teachers, counselors, service providers, and faculty. The methods that were selected to implement project objectives address these barriers. They were identified through
- a review of career development and student development literature;
- input from people with disabilities, including the DO-IT advisory board and postsecondary students;
- input from career development professionals;
- consultation with employers; and
- the adoption of successful practices from previous DO-IT projects.