How can a student with a disability develop college survival skills?
To maximize success in college, encourage students with disabilities to do the following:
- Develop strategies, study skills, and a network of support.
- Always attend class.
- Arrive on time, pay attention, and participate in class discussions and activities.
- Talk to the instructor. Ask questions.
- Complete and check all work. Turn in neat and clear assignments.
- Monitor their own progress. If they begin to fall behind, they should ask for help.
- Stay in contact with the office of disability support services and with professors.
For more information, including advice from successful people with disabilities, consult College Survival Skills.
Last update or review: January 22, 2013