Mentor Tip: Guiding Teens
Send this message to the mentors only.
Subject: Mentoring tips on guiding teens
Reflecting on the following questions can guide you in helping young people with disabilities create definitions of success for themselves and begin to develop strategies for achieving success.
- How is your definition of success similar to or different from the definitions of young people you are mentoring? How do these differences impact your relationships?
- How do you model your own definition of success yet support a young person in defining success for himself/herself?
- What's the best advice or guidance you have ever given regarding success? What made it the best?
- Think of a time when you wished you had given different advice or guidance. What could you have said or done differently?
- How can you help teens take incremental steps toward leading a successful, self-determined life?