Functional limitations due to mental illness can impact academic performance.
Students with mental illness may experience one or several functional limitations which can affect their academic performance and success in higher education. Some may be a direct result of their disability, while others may stem from medication side effects. Their challenges may include:
- Adequately screening out extraneous environmental stimuli.
- Maintaining concentration and attention.
- Maintaining stamina and endurance.
- Handling time pressures and multiple tasks.
- Interacting with others.
- Responding appropriately to negative feedback.
- Responding and coping with unexpected changes.
- Experiencing severe test anxiety.