University of Washington DO-IT Home  
[DOIT Logo]
Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology

Check Your Understanding

1. Provide a personal assistant to assist with mobility needs.

The student may require a personal assistant to help with mobility even though he does not need one in the United States. In a foreign country with physical access barriers, an attendant would likely be needed in the absence of elevators, wheelchair lifts, ramps, etc. The student, disability services counselor, and international program coordinator should determine if this is an appropriate accommodation as well as who is responsible to cover the costs associated with the attendant. An attendant may not, however, be able to help the student gain access to an inaccessible building.