Obtaining Accommodations in Higher Education

Obtaining classroom accommodations changes dramatically as you move from the pre-college (K-12) school system to the college level. In the K-12 system the responsibility for determining and providing accommodations rest with the teachers and administrators of the school. Parents are usually actively involved in this process. In the college system the responsibility for providing the required documentation of your disability and requesting academic accommodations is yours alone. Each college or university has its own specific disability documentation policy. What is acceptable at one school may not be acceptable at another. Services, policies and procedures also vary from school to school.

In order to prepare for your transition to college you should:

Talk with your high school disability specialist, special education teacher, counselor or IEP (Individualized Education Plan) team members.

Talk with the Disabled Student Services Coordinator.