Universal Design of Information Technology in Elementary and Secondary Schools
This section of the Center for UDE website includes a collection of resources for assuring that information technology is accessible to all elementary and secondary students.
- AccessIT - a searchable knowledge base of q&as, case studies, and promising practices related to accessible information technology.
- What are examples of accessible electronic and information technology in education? - examples for educators.
- Information Technology in Education - a checklist for making technology in educational settings accessible to all students.
- South Carolina Department of Education: A Promising Practice in Developing an Educational Technology Plan - an example of system-wide approach.
- Electronic and Information Technology - minimum standards for the accessibility of technology purchased, developed, maintained, and used by the U.S. federal government.
- Breaking Down Barriers: K-12 and Beyond - An Educators' Guide to Accessible Technology in Schools - how teachers can advocate for accessible technology in schools.
- Breaking Down Barriers: K-12 and Beyond - An Parents' Guide to Accessible Technology in Schools - how parents can advocate for accessible technology in schools.
- How can our school or district go about developing an accessible information technology policy? - guidelines for administrators.
- Boston Public Schools Access Technology Center: A Promising Practice of Universal Design - an example of how universal design can assure technology access for all students.
- Bellingham Public Schools: A Promising Practice in Steps Toward Making IT Accessible in K-12 Schools - steps toward systemic change.
Universal Design of Websites
- World Wide Access: Accessible Web Design - universal design applied to the development of web pages (publication and video).
- Web Accessibility: Guidelines for Administrators - guidance for non-technical administrators regarding how to assure that websites in their organizations are accessible to everyone.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines - comprehensive guidelines that focus on access to web content for people with disabilities.
- Website Accessibility Techniques and Concepts - accessibility tips.
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects - teaching universal design to students learning about web design.
- AccessWeb - a discussion list and collection of resources on the design of accessible websites.
Universal Design of Software
- Designing Software that is Accessible to Individuals with Disabilities - guidelines for the design of accessible software.
Universal Design of Telecommunications Products
- Use of Telecommunications Products by People with Disabilities - guidelines for the design of accessible telecommunications products.
Universal Design of Video and Multimedia
- Creating Video and Multimedia Products that are Accessible to People with Sensory Impairments - guidelines for the design of accessible multimedia.
- Access to Technology in the Workplace: In Our Own Words - how universally designed information technology benefits people with disabilities in employment settings (publication and video).
- Universal Design of Distance Learning - a collection of resources for making distance learning courses accessible to all students and instructors.