Resources and Training
The following resources can be used for private study and group instruction on universal design in education.
Resources from DO-IT
- Universal Design in Higher Education: From Principles to Practice - a valuable resource for researchers and practitioners on creating fully accessible college and university programs. This book addresses a comprehensive range of topics on universal design for higher education institutions, thus making a crucial contribution to the growing body of literature on universal design. 20% discount on order of Universal Design in Higher Education book through DO-IT.
- Universal Design in Education: An Online Tutorial - an instructional sequence for learning about the definition and principles of universal design and applications in education.
- Universal Design in Education: Principles and Applications - applications of universal design to physical environments, information technology, instruction, and student services at all educational levels.
- Applications of Universal Design in Education - a summary of applications and examples of universal design to instruction, services, information technology, and physical spaces.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Instruction - a checklist to maximize the learning of all students (publication and video).
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Student Services - overview and checklist for applying universal design principles to the development of accessible student service units on postsecondary campuses (publication and video).
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Physical Spaces - a checklist for making physical environments welcoming, accessible, and usable by everyone.
- Accessibility: A Guide for Educators - a Microsoft guide on accessible technology for educators.
- Concrete Change - an international effort in making new homes "visitable" by everyone.
- Design for All Inititute of India - a publication leading universal design efforts in India.
- Designing for Real People - strategies for design for people of all ages and abilities, not just "average" people.
- FacultyWare - information and tools to enhance the design and delivery of instruction for diverse college students.
- Global Universal Design Educators Online News - information on universal design in education.
- National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM) - focused on issues of media and information technology for people with disabilities in their homes, schools, workplaces, and communities.
- The Center for Applied Special Technology - research and development in the area of Universal Design for Learning.
- The Center for Universal Design - a national research, information, and technical assistance center that evaluates, develops, and promotes universal design in housing, public and commercial facilities, and related products.
- The IDEA Center - a resource dedicated to improving the design of environments and products by making them more usable, safer and appealing to people with a wide range of abilities throughout their life spans.
- Trace Research and Development Center - a center dedicated to developing ways to make standard information technologies and telecommunications systems more accessible and usable by people with disabilities.
- Universal Design: A Strategy to Support Students' Access to the General Education Curriculum - strategies for improving access to standard curriculum for students with disabilities.
- Universal Design Education Online - resources on applying universal design in education.
- Universal Design for Learning and the Transition to a More Challenging Academic Curriculum: Making it in Middle School and Beyond - instructional strategies at the middle school level.
- Web Accessibility Initiative - guidance from the World Wide Web Consortium in the universal design of web resources.