UW Search Procedures
Individual schools/colleges/campuses at UW may have unique guidelines for faculty searches. Examples include:
- Search Committees College of Arts and Sciences,
- Natural Science Administrative Information: Material for Search Committees
- UW ADVANCE Faculty Retention Toolkit created by the ADVANCE Center for Institutional Change for the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences
A university statement on diversity may be different from its actual decision making regarding recruitment, promotion, and retention. The following examples are offered as clear statements regarding the goals of having a diverse faculty, but no claim is made regarding the attainment of these goals at any specific institution.
- Penn State University materials served as a model for this recruitment toolkit. See its publication, “Getting Results: Affirmative Action Guidelines– Searches to Achieve Diversity.”
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Search Handbook: very thorough, forward-thinking resource for faculty and staff searches
- University of Virginia Faculty Search Committee Tutorial
- University of Michigan ADVANCE Faculty Recruitment Handbook contains research and data on faculty diversity.
- University of Minnesota Guidelines for Recruiting & Appointing Academic Personnel Appendix A: Recruiting a Diverse, Qualified Pool of Applicants
- University of California, Irvine, Faculty Recruitment Handbook is under the recruitment link on its website.
- University of Florida Faculty Recruitment Toolkit
- MIT Faculty Search Committee Handbook provides additional resources for online directories.
The Visitors Information Center also has brochures which can serve to introduce candidates to the Seattle area. Search committees can gather brochures from Academic Human Resources and/or Benefits to include in search packets. While all of this information is now on the web, brochures can be an effective way to provide candidates with specific information about programs at the University. Samples include:
- Faculty Policies Regarding Medical Leave, Family Leave, Tenure Extension, and Support Services
- Dual Career Resources at UW
- Work/Life, serving faculty, staff and students
- Hometown Loan Program
You may contact the office listed with the brochure for additional copies.