Outreach and Prevention Services
The Counseling Center provides outreach services in response to tragic events and ongoing injustices. This includes talking with groups on campus (e.g., student organizations, departments, classes) about coping with violent or traumatic situations and/or facilitating conversations about how people are feeling. Additionally, if you or your department/organization are planning an event or other response to recent tragedies, we hope you will consider contacting us to discuss any ways in which the Counseling Center can provide collaboration, presence, and/or resources to support your event.
Counseling Center staff members are available to meet with student groups and faculty or staff members to deliver outreach and prevention services in a range of formats and on a wide variety of topics. The purposes of these services are to offer helpful information and support, and to reach students who would not otherwise utilize Counseling Center services. Most outreach and prevention services are free to UW students and to staff and faculty members! See our Career Exploration page for information on the cost of career-related services.
Types of Outreaches
- Brief talk about Counseling Center services and how to access them (this can also be incorporated into a longer, topical presentation)
- Presentations or workshops on a variety of topics. Some past topics include:
- Relationship enhancement
- Eating and body image concerns
- Assertiveness skills
- Appreciating differences
- Stress management
- Sexual assault
- Coping with seasonal depression
- Overview of Counseling Center services
- Life transitions
- Debriefing with groups impacted by tragic or traumatic experiences (e.g., the death of a student)
- Training on how to notice, support, and refer students who may have emotional concerns.
- Career Values Workshops and group interpretations of career assessments (see our Career Exploration Page for more information)
How to Request an Outreach (e.g., workshop, tabling, presentation, panel)
- Contact the Coordinator of Outreach and Prevention Services, Amy Collins, at 206-543-1240 or by email.
- For requests or questions related to other services (e.g., counseling, referrals, consultation, general questions), please contact the Counseling Center Front Desk at 206-543-1240.
- Planning ahead: Please make outreach requests at least two weeks in advance. If your requested outreach will occur outside of business hours, please contact us three weeks in advance. Our staff’s calendars are often full weeks in advance, so the more notice we have, the better we are able to be present and well prepared at a time that works for you. This is especially true of after-hours outreaches which often require staff to make changes to their personal schedules and child care arrangements.
- The Counseling Center also realizes that urgent outreach needs sometimes arise (e.g., debriefing in response to the death of a student or other tragedy); in these cases, please call the front desk at 206-543-1240 to let us know it is urgent, and we likely will be able to respond promptly.