The Counseling Center offers brief psychologically and culturally-informed individual career counseling to currently registered UW-Seattle matriculated students. During this time, you and your counselor will explore a range of subjects that will help you gain greater self-awareness, or clarity, about your academic and career goals. As a result, you’ll be better able to decide on potential majors and careers. Some of the areas your counselor may discuss with you include:
- Cultural/family beliefs and values that have impacted your education and career prospects
- Family expectations of what you should study or which careers you should consider
- Your preferences for lifestyle, geographical location, preferred work environments, family needs, etc.
- Your interests, motivated skills and values
Strong Interest Inventory (SII): If you only take one test, this should be it. The SII is the leading career planning tool for those seeking career direction. You can take it online in about 30 minutes. Interpretation required. See dates and times of group workshops below.
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI): When used along with the SII, the MBTI can be very beneficial in showing why and how we like to work. Like the SII, it takes about 30 minutes to complete online. Interpretation required. See dates and times of group workshops below.
Fees for the SII and MBTI assessments
|Service||Cost for students||Cost for alumni|
|Strong Interest Inventory Group Workshop||$20.00||$40.00|
|Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Group Workshop||$20.00||$40.00|
|Strong Interest Inventory Individual Interpretation||$40.00||Not eligible|
|Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Individual Interpretation||$40.00||Not eligible|
Only currently enrolled, matriculated UW-Seattle students or alumni are eligible for individual interpretations of the SII or MBTI.
We can only accept cash and check. Sorry, no credit cards.
To take the MBTI and/or SII assessments
- Visit the Counseling Center. We will ask you to pay via cash or check, complete some brief paperwork, and schedule your interpretation.
- Take your assessment online.
- Attend your scheduled interpretation workshop and receive your assessment results.
Autumn Quarter Workshop Schedule
Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
Strong Interest Inventory
To understand your values and how they impact your career choices, we offer a quarterly workshop entitled, “Fame, Fortune or Fun?” Scott Shiebler leads this highly-interactive workshop, open to both graduate and undergraduate students.
Recommended Career Resources
General career articles
- Best jobs of 2014 by USA News
- Careers for Hipsters
- Career insights from UW Professional & Continuing Education
- Evaluate your career every 18 months
- Eikleberry, Carol and Bolles, Richard N. (2007). The Career guide for Creative and Unconventional People. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press, Inc.
- Tieger, Paul D. and Barron-Tieger, Barbara (2007). Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Using the Secrets of Personality Type. Boston: Little, Brown and Company.
- Best career books for young professionals
- Job hunting and career development books