Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship
Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship
The Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship (formerly the Sterling and Gene Munro Public Service Fellowship) encourages a life-long commitment to public service by providing outstanding undergraduates with the opportunity to explore their potential through service and leadership in the community.
Jackson Munro Public Service Fellows are selected based on the strength of a public service project proposed in collaboration with a public sector (non-profit or governmental) organization.
Selection of Jackson Munro Public Service Fellows
Jackson Munro Public Service Fellows serve in the summer, building on experiences and partnerships they have forged in the previous academic year. Students are funded to engage in a public service project between June 19-August 31, 2017.
Jackson Munro Public Service Fellows are selected for a summer intensive experience based on three primary factors:
- An established partnership with a non-profit or public sector organization
- A collaboratively thought out plan for a summer intensive project that will benefit the partnering organization while increasing student skills and learning
- An articulation of how the work of the Fellow will contribute to their development as a public servant and leader
Made possible through the support of the Henry M. Jackson Foundation, the Fellowship is named for late Senator Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson and S. Sterling Munro, Jr., the former top aide to Senator Jackson and Administrator of the Bonneville Power Administration.
- Applications for the Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship are due on Monday, May 1, 2017.
- Interviews for the Fellowship will be held the week of May 15-19 (date TBD).
- Selected Fellows will be notified of selection no later than May 22 and recognized at the Spring Celebration of Service and Leadership on May 24.
- Projects should occur between June 19-August 31, 2017.
In addition to a monetary award of $1,800 for the summer, Jackson Munro Fellows are also supported through workshops and advising with a graduate student mentor.
- Active engagement in your Fellowship Project during summer quarter, 2017
- Enrollment in summer quarter courses and/or enrollment in spring AND autumn, 2017 courses at the University of Washington
- Willing to schedule and complete a site visit with your organization with a Carlson Center staff member
- Available to present on your fellowship and associated learning at an event the week of August 14-18 (date and time TBD).
Deadline to Apply:
Applications for the 2017 Summer Intensive Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship are due by Monday, May 1st at 11:59 pm.
The online application can be accessed via this link.
Prior to entering the catalyst survey, applicants are encouraged to review the questions below.
- Why are you interested in the Jackson Munro Public Service Summer Intensive Fellowship?
- What have you learned about public service and leadership through previous involvement in your community?
- What organization will you be working with as a Jackson Munro Public Service Fellow this summer? What is your history with this organization?
- What project will you undertake as a Jackson Munro Public Service Fellow? How will this work be helpful to your organization? What do you hope will be different as a result of your work on this project?
- How will your project be sustained at the end of your Fellowship period?
- How is your project and community-based experience tied to your educational goals at the University of Washington?
- How will your work as a Jackson Munro Public Service Summer Intensive Fellow contribute to your personal and professional goals?
- The Jackson Munro Public Service Summer Intensive Fellowship includes the following summer commitments, please indicate if you can meet these commitments (yes, no, special circumstances to be discussed)
- Active engagement in your Fellowship project in Summer, 2017
- Enrolled in Summer Quarter 2017 classes and/or enrolled in both Spring Quarter and Autumn Quarter 2017 classes at the University of Washington.
- Wiling to schedule and complete a site visit to your organization with a Carlson Center staff member
- Willing to present on your Fellowship experience and associated learning at an event the week of August 14-18 (date and time TBD)
- Please provide the name, title, email address and phone number for an individual within the organization you are partnering with who can speak about your project and partnership. We may contact them for more information about your engagement with their organization and their support of your summer intensive experience.
Learn more about the history of the Jackson Munro Public Service Fellowship (formerly the Sterling and Gene Munro Public Service Fellowship)
Questions? Email Rachel Vaughn, director, Carlson Leadership & Public Service Center, firstname.lastname@example.org
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –