Edward E. Carlson Student Leadership Award
Named for one of Seattle’s foremost civic leaders, the Edward E. Carlson Student Leadership Award recognizes individual students who have demonstrated a strong commitment to public service, provided outstanding leadership in the community, and who are committed to continued creative civic participation. The Carlson Student Leadership Award recipient will receive $2500 and be honored at the Carlson Center’s Fellowship Celebration on May 24, 2016.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
In order to be eligible for the Edward E. Carlson Student Leadership Award, candidates must be enrolled as a junior or senior at the University of Washington during the current academic year and should be working toward their first baccalaureate degree. The Award is open to students from all three University of Washington campuses.
Applications will be assessed on the extent to which a students’ conception and practice of civic leadership embodies these values: Social Responsibility, Commitment, Leadership, Creativity, and Collaboration. View our Application Evaluation Rubric here to learn more about what we’re looking for from Carlson Award applicants.
The application deadline for the 2015 Edward E. Carlson Student Leadership Award is 11:59 pm on Monday, April 18, 2016. Interviews with finalists will occur Friday, April 18, 2016 (all applicants should hold time this day for an interview); applicants will be notified of their interview status no later than Tuesday, April 26th. .
How to apply
Please email a completed application packet to email@example.com by 11:59 pm on Monday, April 18th. A completed application packet will include the following:
- A completed 2016 Carlson Award Application.
- A current University of Washington transcript (unofficial is fine).
- A letter of recommendation from a mentor who knows your civic leadership activities well and can speak to your commitment to personal development and future civic engagement potential.
- Letters may be submitted as Word OR .pdf attachments by the applicant or can be emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org by the recommender. Letters of recommendation are due at the same time as other components of the application—11:59PM on Monday, April 18th.
- A current resume.
- Up to three “artifacts” of your service and leadership work. An artifact can include—but is not limited to—photographs, links to relevant web sites, videos, examples of products created as a part of your service and leadership work, or press clippings.
Questions and Nominations
We encourage our community—both on and off campus—to forward information about this award and the application procedures, to eligible UW students who you think would make good candidates.
If you have questions about the Edward E. Carlson Student Leadership Award, please email email@example.com.