- Position Title
- Kid’s Corner Assistant
- Meredith Mathews East Madison YMCA
- The YMCA of Greater Seattle is one of the Pacific Northwest’s leading nonprofit organizations strengthening the foundations of community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Founded in 1876, the mission of the Y is to build a community where all people, especially the young, are encouraged to develop their fullest potential in spirit, mind and body. Our Kids Corner needs service-learners with enthusiasm and a love for kids! Kids Corner is a unique free service offered to members, so they have a the opportunity to exercise while knowing their child is being cared for in a fun and safe environment.
- Work description
- As a Kids Corner assistant, service-learners will be expected to engage with children from 3 months to 10 years old. This may include reading books, creating crafts, the occasional tea party, a competitive game of basketball, rocking a baby to sleep, or a rousing game of Connect Four. In addition to playing with the kids, we also expect service-learners to supervise the group for safety issues, to help redirect children that may be having behavioral challenges, and greeting parents/members in a positive way.You will be given materials on child development including stages of age appropriate development and appropriate activities to foster growth. As well as advice on dealing with/avoiding behavioral problems before they even begin. If you have any interest in working with children in any capacity this is a great learning experience as it is a casual play-centered environment with a large age-range of youth.
- As a non-profit and more specifically with Kids Corner being a free service, we are frequently understaffed. We depend on the helping hands of volunteers to provide the best attention and care for the children in our programs. Having service-learners with creativity and enthusiasm for kids will dramatically enhance our programs and our ability to offer the service to more people without turning members away.
- Provide the address for your organization
- Driving notes
- Include tips on how to get to your organization from the UW in this section.
- Bus notes
- What bus routes can be taken to get to your organization?
- Ideal Number of Students
- 5 students
- Must be 18 years old
Background check required
Other paperwork: Volunteer Application and 2 Reference Forms
- Skills needed
- Experience working with infants and young children is recommended but not necessary
- Creativity, enthusiasm, and playfulness
- Reliable and responsible (showing up on time)
- Good judgement
- Saturday from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 4:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Thursday from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Friday from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Yes, students will choose times within the time slots above
- Students will choose one or two days a week to come in at a regularly scheduled 2-3 hour shift.
- No date specified
- No time specified
- Phone #
- Provide the address for where the orientation will take place.
- Orientation notes
- Immediately after registering for this position, please e-mail me to set-up a time for your orientation and to receive a volunteer application and 2 blank reference forms. This paperwork is expected to be brought in completed to orientation. At orientation one will need a valid photo ID in order to complete the background check.
*Orientation must take place within the first two weeks of the quarter.