GEN ST 350: Recommendations for finding an Academic Sponsor
Finding an Academic Sponsor for a GEN ST350 Internship is the responsibility of the student:
- Approach a professor that teaches in the area of your internship. For example, if you have a marketing internship, you can contact faculty members in the business school, marketing, or communications.
- Ask friends for recommendations of professors they have had. They would know better than anyone on campus about the professor’s teaching style and personality.
- Departmental advisors can give you a list of professors that typically work with independent study students. Students often engage in internships outside of their major so feel free to approach other departments.
- The Center for Advising, Diversity and Student Success in Mary Gates Hall provides pre-major advising and can recommend faculty members as well.
- Send faculty an e-mail or go to office hours and try your luck. Bringing a completed GEN ST 350 application to the meeting shows initiative and organization.