Before You Register
- BEGIN BROWSING positions for your service-learning course. During the first few days of the quarter (sometimes a few days before the quarter starts), students registered for a service-learning course with the Carlson Center can begin reviewing possible service-learning placement options online.
- Please do not contact organizations to inquire about position logistics. If you have questions, contact the Carlson Center directly or visit our FAQ page to learn more about service-learning in your course. Carlson Center staff will make a presentation in each class about service-learning logistics during the first days of the quarter.
Tips for Browsing and Logistics
- Register for a position during Week 1.
- Attend an orientation at your organization during Week 2.
- Make a regular weekly commitment for the duration of the entire quarter.
- Commit 3-5 hours each week
- Communicate with your site supervisor proactively and professionally.
- If you cannot make an assigned shift, contact your supervisor immediately and always offer to make up missed time.
- Students engaged in service-learning will spend 20 to 40 total hours (3 to 5 hours per week) working with one community partner organization over the course of the quarter.
- Choose options that are interesting to you and fit with your course/work schedule. Learn about each organization by checking out the organization’s website.
- Remember to factor in travel time to organizations (and how that might impact your availability for the shift they have listed). For tips on travel by bus, we recommend taking a look at King County Metro Trip Planner, Google Maps, or OneBusAway. Check out the Carlson Center’s “How to Ride the Bus in Seattle” video for more information on the Seattle area bus system.
Are you already an active volunteer in an organization whose mission and work meets the learning goals and objectives for your course? Complete the Service-Learning Self Placement Form to continue to connect your current service with your academic coursework.
- Service-learning registration dates/times vary. Find out the date and time service-learning registration opens for your class.
- Service-learning positions are first come, first served. If a position is filled, you must choose another open position.
- After registration, you can log back in to the service-learning database at any time to review details of your service-learning position.
- The Carlson Center offers preparatory workshops for service-learning students at the beginning of each quarter. Learn about how you can participate in a Pre-Service Workshop or a Service-Learning Workshop for International Students.