Carlson Leadership & Public Service Center
Browse and Register for Service-Learning Positions
Before you register
- Review general information about service-learning.
- BEGIN BROWSING positions for your service-learning course. During the first few days of the quarter (sometimes a few days before the quarter starts), students registered for a service-learning course with the Carlson Center can begin reviewing possible service-learning placement options online.
- Please do not contact organizations to inquire about position logistics. If you have questions, contact the Carlson Center directly or visit our FAQ page to learn more about service-learning in your course. Carlson Center staff will make a presentation in each class about service-learning logistics during the first days of the quarter.
Tips for browsing and logistics
- Review a service-learning timeline for Autumn 2016.
- Register for a position during Week 1.
- Attend an orientation at your organization during Week 2.
- Make a regular weekly commitment for the duration of the entire quarter, committing to ~3-5 of service each week.
- Communicate with your site supervisor proactively and professionally.
- If you cannot make an assigned shift, contact your supervisor immediately and always offer to make up missed time.
- Students engaged in service-learning will volunteer with one community partner organization for the duration of the quarter (from the second week, through the last week of classes), generally spending 3 to 5 hours per week in their positions – depending on the partners’ needs.
- Choose options that are interesting to you and fit with your course/work schedule. Learn about each organization by checking out the organization’s website.
- Remember to factor in travel time to organizations (and how that might impact your availability for the shift they have listed). For tips on travel by bus, we recommend taking a look at King County Metro Trip Planner, Google Maps, or OneBusAway. Check out the Carlson Center’s “How to Ride the Bus in Seattle” video for more information on the Seattle area bus system.
- Service-learning registration dates/times vary. Talk to your professor to find out when registration opens for your course.
- Service-learning positions are first come, first served. If a position is filled, you must choose another open position.
- After registration, you can log back in to the service-learning database at any time to review details of your service-learning position.
- The Carlson Center offers preparatory workshops for service-learning students at the beginning of each quarter. Learn about how you can participate in a Pre-Service Workshop or a Service-Learning Workshop for International Students.