August 18, 2014
Northwest Natural Resource Group is seeking a Marketing Intern
The Northwest Natural Resource Group (NNRG) is a conservation and rural economic development non‐profit organization based in Seattle, Washington (see www.nnrg.org). NNRG’s mission is to use the marketplace to restore forests and local economies.
Dedicated to promoting a sustainable, environmentally sound economy in the forestlands and watersheds of the Pacific Northwest, we focus on the smaller woodlands owned and managed by private landowners, smaller forest product companies, governmental agencies, and non-profit organizations. Our primary tool to accomplish our mission is Northwest Certified Forestry (NCF), a membership program for public, non-profit, and family forest landowners that provides access to Forest Stewardship Council™ (FSC®) certification, forest management assistance, landowner incentives, marketing, and educational workshops. We now have over 170 landowner members across 165,000 acres in Washington and Oregon. Through this and other programs, we work to achieve three primary objectives:
- Provide access to the tools and information that landowners need to sustainably manage their forest;
- Improve the economics of sustainable forest management so that all landowners can secure the financial resources to steward their land, and consumers can help restore forests with their purchases; and
- Increase the number of acres certified under the FSC system in Washington and Oregon.
Summary of Position:
NNRG is a small organization, so each member of our team has a hands-on opportunity to make a difference for the forests and communities in which we work. Within this team, the NNRG Marketing and Communications Intern is responsible for maintaining NNRG’s social media presence, publishing the newsletter, making changes to the website, and supporting overall efforts to promote NNRG’s programs. This position works closely with the Member Services Director to ensure that relevant and applicable information is relayed to NNRG’s membership, and exemplary member services are provided through a broad set of activities.
- Implementing NNRG’s social media plan including updating systems, building followers, and generating content;
- Leading production of monthly newsletters to NNRG’s members;
- Managing NNRG’s website including content and functionality; and
- Performing other duties as assigned which may include updates to NNRG’s certification database, fieldwork with NNRG foresters, assistance to NNRG members, and other project support.
Hours & Location:
This is an unpaid position for 8-10 hours per week that will last for the academic year 2014-2015. NNRG may also choose to work with an intern for a portion of the academic year if an outstanding candidate is only available for a limited time. If you incur business expenses during your work with NNRG, such as travel expenses for fieldwork, you will be reimbursed at NNRG’s standard rates. The approximate start date for this position will be October 15, 2014.
The location is NNRG’s office in downtown Seattle, WA.
- Commitment to and interest in conservation and sustainable economic development;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and a collaborative and creative work style;
- Ability to organize and prioritize a wide diversity of tasks in a fast‐paced work environment;
- Experience in non-profit work and/or marketing programs;
- Experience in project management;
- Proficiency in Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, Hootsuite, and Salesforce.
Start date: 10/15/14
End date: 5/31/15
Location:1917 1st Ave, Seattle, WA 98101
How to apply:
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and two references no later than September 22nd to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing and Communications Intern” in the subject line. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and will be screened on a rolling basis.
Supervisor contact info: Dan Stonington, email@example.com, 206-971-3709