Carlson Leadership & Public Service Center
AmeriCorps STEM Curriculum Associate Position Description
To coordinate and help mobilize volunteers to create innovative middle school STEM lessons based on the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and focusing on earth and space science. Once created and prototyped at SNS, the lessons will be posted on the SNS website, as an open source curriculum resource.
- Create the curricular templates and lessons based on the Seattle University afterschool engineering curriculum model used at Bailey Gatzert Elementary
- Establish and coordinate a STEM Curriculum Design Team of graduate students and STEM and business professionals
- Recruit and train volunteers to help with the pilot program
- Collaborate with team members and SNS vendors to create an On-Line Volunteer Portal, which provides an effective on-line scheduling and information resource for the SNS volunteer group
- Prototype lessons, gather feedback from volunteers and students
- Revise the lessons and post them on the website.
- Participate actively in required AmeriCorps training and reporting
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents and community partners.
- Proactively identifies and develops ways to improve school performance as SNS builds out the school.
- Helps monitor students in a variety of educational settings (e.g. classroom, school grounds, hallways, lunchroom, restrooms, field trips, extended day etc.) to provide a safe and positive learning environment.
- Communicates effectively with the administration, colleagues, parents and/or legal guardians.
- When asked, prepares a variety of written materials for a variety of purposes.
- Operates standard office equipment including educational software applications.
- Performs other related duties, including extra-curricular activities, as assigned.
- Enthusiastically and flexibly fills in as needed, teaming with the small SNS staff.
- Ability to work proactively, collaboratively, inclusively, and respectfully with others.
- Keen understanding of the flexibility and innovation inherent in a startup school.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with diverse students and communities facing economic and social challenges.
Ability to work under limited supervision; work as a team; track some limited expenditures; and meet physical demands including lifting and carrying. Generally the job requires 15% sitting, 60% walking, and 25% standing.
Education and Experience:
College degree required. Other Requirements: Must be a US citizen. Minimum age of 18 and maximum age of 25; Car recommended
Program Start/End Date: 9/1/2014 to 7/15/2015
Washington State Service Corps required Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearances as well as ongoing Safe-Environment Training with the Seattle Archdiocese. Compensation and benefits: Standard AmeriCorps Member compensation and benefits – health coverage, education award upon successful completion of service, childcare assistance if eligible, training, and stipend.
- Apply through the My AmeriCorps job listing #55850 at: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=55850&fromSearch=true
- Additional information is available from SNS Executive Director, Renee Willette, at firstname.lastname@example.org