Carlson Leadership & Public Service Center
August 8, 2014
AmeriCorps Health Curriculum Associate Position Description
Promote health and wellness in the curricula, school-wide programs, and related policies by providing
abundant opportunities for students to develop and maintain healthy minds and bodies and to understand
their personal growth through health-related programs, policies, and curricula.
- Help plan and coordinate healthy breakfasts
- Give mini-presentations at all school morning meetings about health related issues
- Develop and implement community building activities around targeted team traits
- Coordinate Advisory and Community teams including outside speakers and recruiting volunteers
- Meet with experts to craft a best in practice scope and sequence for a health and fitness based PE program
- Collaborate with team members and SNS vendors to create an On-Line Volunteer Portal, which provides an effective on-line scheduling and information resource for the SNS volunteer group
- Prototypes lessons and gather feedback from volunteers and students.
- Participate actively in required AmeriCorps training and reporting
- Collaborates with instructional staff, other school personnel, parents and community partners.
- Proactively identifies and develops ways to improve school performance as SNS builds out the school.
- Helps monitor students in a variety of educational settings (e.g. classroom, school grounds, hallways, lunchroom, restrooms, field trips, extended day etc.) to provide a safe and positive learning environment.
- Communicates effectively with the administration, colleagues, parents and/or legal guardians.
- When asked, prepares a variety of written materials for a variety of purposes.
- Operates standard office equipment including educational software applications.
- Performs other related duties, including extra-curricular activities, as assigned.
- Enthusiastically and flexibly fills in as needed, teaming with the small SNS staff.
- Ability to work proactively, collaboratively, inclusively, and respectfully with others.
- Keen understanding of the flexibility and innovation inherent in a startup school.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with diverse students and communities facing economic and social challenges.
Ability to work under limited supervision; work as a team; track some limited expenditures; and meet physical demands including lifting and carrying. Generally the job requires 15% sitting, 60% walking, and 25% standing.
Education and Experience:
College degree required. Other Requirements: Must be a US citizen. Minimum age of 18 and maximum age of 25; Car recommended
Program Start/End Date: 9/1/2014 to 7/15/2015
Washington State Service Corps required Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearances as well as ongoing Safe-Environment Training with the Seattle Archdiocese. Compensation and benefits: Standard AmeriCorps Member compensation and benefits – health coverage, education award upon successful completion of service, childcare assistance if eligible, training, and stipend.
- Apply through the My AmeriCorps job listing #55857 at: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=55857&fromSearch=true
- Additional information is available from SNS Executive Director, Renee Willette, at email@example.com