July 28, 2014
Multicultural Initiatives Intern
Position title: Multicultural Initiatives Intern
Organization: American Heart Association
Start date: 9/15/2014
End date: 12/15/2014 or TBD
Location: 710 2nd Ave. Suite 900. Seattle, WA
- Assist in the development, implementation and evaluation of multicultural community health programs
- Research funding opportunities for health equity programs in Washington, Oregon and Montana
- Conduct community needs/asset assessments of Seattle market, create culturally appropriate educational and health programming materials, promote healthier environments, work with faith based organizations
- Work closely with community organizations and community liaisons to help educate ethnic communities on heart disease prevention. Help coordinate activities and help with programming and evaluation.
- Identify possible funding opportunities and assist with grant writing. Conduct community/asset assessments through fieldwork and using secondary data.
- Interns will receive culturally competence training on how to reach out to the multicultural community (i.e. Asian American, African American, Latinos, Native Americans and etc.) and will create educational materials based on their newly acquired knowledge.
Time commitment: 15 hours / week
- Minimum time commitment: 3 months, strongly prefer 6 -12 months commitment; must come to office at least twice a week.
- Appreciation/understanding of community health and health disparity/equity.
- Ability and willingness to travel in Seattle-Tacoma for meetings and health fairs, and with reliable transportation; ability to work independently and during irregular hours for special events.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and tasks; ability to prioritize tasks
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite for Words, Excel, PowerPoint and internet research
- Strong administrative skills: typing, making phone calls, sending e-mails; customer service with basic email/phone etiquette; communication and marketing skills (both oral and written)
How to apply: Interested candidates must submit cover letter, resume, and three work samples (1 written community health research paper, 2 program development/project sample or grant application).
Supervisor contact info:
Katie Sullivan, email@example.com, 860-608-2512