University of Washington Alumni Association
Meet. Learn. Cheer. Travel. Act.
Activity Level: Moderately Active
Special UW pricing extended through February 13, 2014!
Join UW Alumni Tours on this nostalgic cruise down the Mississippi River, and visit ports rich in Southern culture and history. This is an exciting opportunity to experience not only the unique showboat culture on an authentic paddlewheel steamboat, but to also step foot on soil that served as the background for defining moments in our country’s history.
- Spend a night in historic New Orleans, a cosmopolitan city known for its exciting blend of French, Spanish, Creole and Haitian culture, not to mention its delicious cuisine
- Stop at Oak Alley plantation in Saint James Parish, a plantation featuring 300-year-old oak trees
- In St. Francisville, explore the plantation that hosted guests such as Andrew Jackson and John James Audubon
- Explore the Grand Village, historic Jefferson College, splendid mansions, or just amble down the Natchez Trace -- all in Natchez
- Visit the National Military Park in Vicksburg, site of a historic Civil War battle
- Marvel at the antebellum-era architecture of plantation mansions in Baton Rouge
- In Burnside, take a tour of the Houmas House, dubbed "The Crown Jewel of Louisiana’s River Road." This mansion served as the setting for the Bette Davis movie, "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte"
Spend seven fun nights aboard the elegant American Queen, the world’s largest operating steamboat. Past travelers have fallen in love with this ship, enjoying nightly entertainment and hospitality that can only be found in America’s South.
Price: Cabin prices range from $2,549 (inside cabin) - $6,499 (suite), depending on cruise category.
Operator: Go Next
Friends & family are welcome—you don't have to be a UW graduate to travel with UW Alumni Tours!