Activity Level: Mildly Active
Celebrate an old-fashioned yet completely original holiday season, as you cruise to culturally rich ports of the American South from Memphis to New Orleans aboard the luxury steamboat American Queen. This authentic paddlewheel steamboat has every modern amenity and epitomizes the grace and grandeur that has made steam boating a cherished American tradition for more than two centuries. Enjoy traditional holiday festivities, including unique food and music at historic locales along the Mighty Mississippi in Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana.
Trip highlights include:
- Spend a pre-cruise day in Memphis getting to know the home of American music, civil rights and barbecue
- Enjoy a tour of Vicksburg including the Old Court House Museum
- In Natchez, tour the antebellum mansions of Longwood, Stanton Hall and Rosalie, envisioning what life was like in the 1800’s
- Walk through the quaint town of Vicksburg and visit Old Market Hall or the Historical Society Museum
- Explore Baton Rouge’s many attractions such as the USS Kidd, the Old Governor’s Mansion or the Old Arsenal Museum
- Experience southern splendor during your visit to Houmas House Plantation and Gardens
- Throughout your cruise, enjoy acclaimed cuisine, daily lectures by a river historian and nightly showboat-style entertainment and dancing
It’s been quite a few years since we’re offered steamboat cruises and we’re excited to invite you to join us as we bring back this very special way of cruising down the Mississippi River.
Videos taken at the christening ceremony for the American Queen, May 2012
America the Beautiful sung by Joyce Cobb on the American Queen
Old Man River sung by Judy Whitney Davis on the American Queen
Hear Priscilla Presley talk about the "American Queen and Memphis" at the inaugural ceremony of the Mississippi Paddle Wheeler
*Note: We are also offering a civil war themed Mississippi River cruise, scheduled for April 5 – 14, 2013
Prices range from $1,995-$5,795 (cruise only), depending on cabin category
Single Supplement: Call for details
Operator: Go Next
Friends & family are welcome—you don't have to be a UW graduate to travel with UW Alumni Tours!