Bhutan: The Hidden Kingdom
Activity Level: Active
Travel high into the Himalayas to encounter a peaceful kingdom that has long drawn mystics and seekers – and that rewards modern-day visitors with a taste of undisturbed tradition. Experience a culture where ‘Gross National Happiness’ measures the wealth of the nation.
Trip highlights include:
- Arrive via Delhi, and by flying over the Himalayas, providing unmatched views of the world’s highest mountain range
- Peruse ancient Buddhist manuscripts and the world’s largest book at the National Library in Thimphu
- Visit Tashichhoe Dzong, the historic fortress and monastery that today houses government offices and temples
- Walk through rice fields to reach Chime Lhakhang, a local temple built by the “Divine madman,” and the pilgrimage site for couples struggling with fertility
- Travel to Gangtey and learn about the black-necked cranes that winter here and are a protected species
- See the sacred Tiger’s Nest, a monastery and temple complex hanging from a cliff 2,000 feet above the upper Paro Valley
- Partake in the ancient practice of raising prayer flags to spread peace and compassion
Spend 10 nights in Bhutan, visiting spiritual monuments and discovering firsthand the allure of this real life kingdom. This tour is limited to 16 guests, so don’t miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime experience!
$3,695 land only. $5,168 with group air from Seattle. (Group air includes $673 in airline taxes and departure fees)
Single Supplement: $1,195
Operator: Odysseys Unlimited
Friends & family are welcome—you don't have to be a UW graduate to travel with UW Alumni Tours!