University of Washington Alumni Association
Meet. Learn. Cheer. Travel. Act.
Classic Safari: Kenya & Tanzania
Additional tours are being offered on the following dates:
January 16 - February 1, 2013
Activity Level: Mildly Active
Rough it in style on an African safari that journeys from grasslands to highlands, reserves and national parks, and delight in spectacular game drives, amazing landscapes and excellent accommodations. Meet unforgettable local people and experience the true heart of Africa.
Tour highlights include:
- 3-day safari at Masai Mara, Kenya’s premier game reserve, known for its annual wildebeest migration and 200 square miles of animals, vast plains, acacia forests and slow-flowing rivers
- Visit to a traditional Masai village
- 3 days at Serengeti National Park, one of the world’s last great wildlife refuges whose treeless plains offer the best place to view lion and cheetah up close
- Visit to Olduvai Gorge, where in 1959 anthropologist Mary Leaky discovered a 1.8 million-year-old skull that revolutionized the study of human evolution
- Tour of Ngorongoro Crater, perhaps the best place to see Africa’s “Big Five”--elephant, buffalo, rhinoceros, lion and leopard--in one place
- Tour of Nairobi, Kenya’s capital, including a visit to the Giraffe Center and the house and museum of Danish writer Karen Blixen (aka Isak Dinesen), author of Out of Africa
- 14 nights’ accommodations in deluxe or superior first-class hotels and lodges, including 3 nights in a luxury tented camp in Masai Mara
Optional extension tour to Zanzibar, Tanzania takes in UNESCO World Heritage site Stone Town, visit to several spice and fruit plantations and other sightseeing
$6,595 land only. $8,167 with group air from Seattle or $7,667 from JFK. (Air prices include $672 in airline taxes and departure fees).
Single Supplement: $1,495
Operator: Odysseys Unlimited
Friends & family are welcome—you don't have to be a UW graduate to travel with UW Alumni Tours!