The Great Journey Through Europe
Activity Level: Moderately Active
Take a journey of discovery along the storied Rhine River and into the heart of the Swiss Alps through a combination of river and rail travel. Cruise from Amsterdam to Basel and view the most scenic areas of the Rhine River Valley. From Basel, travel overland through the verdant countryside and medieval villages of Switzerland to the idyllic resort towns of Lucerne and Zermatt where you’ll spend four days exploring the majestic Alps.
Trip highlights include:
- Spend five nights cruising through the Rhine River Valley aboard the elegant M.S. Amadeus Princess, watching as old castles, world famous vineyards and the mythical Lorelei Rock go by your window
- Enjoy a guided tour of Cologne’s magnificent Gothic cathedral—a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- In medieval Rödesheim, stroll along the Drosselgasse, see the Brömserburg Castle or maybe savor local German wines in a traditional wine bar
- Visit imposing Heidelberg Castle and walk the cobblestone streets of Heidelberg’s Old Town
- Explore Strasbourg with its covered bridges, canals, Cathedral of Notre Dame and the Church of St-Pierre-le-Vieux, which contains two houses of worship, one Catholic and one Protestant
- Experience the soaring majesty of the Alps on three spectacular rail journeys — the Gornergrat Bahn, the Glacier Express and the Mount Pilatus Railway
- Outside Lucerne, take a cable car to the 7,000-foot summit of Mount Pilatus for stunning views of lakes, forests and mountain peaks
- Ride one of Switzerland’s famous cog railways to the 10,000-foot-high Gornergrat, enjoying sweeping vistas and views of the Matterhorn along the way
- A two night pre-cruise stay to Amsterdam is also available
Join this trip and discover why the Upper Middle Rhine River Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and why this was a favorite UW itinerary when we last offered it back in 2009. Here’s what one of our travelers had to say about the trip:
Thank you for one of the most magical and enjoyable trips of my life. My husband, Lloyd, and I appreciated everything!
Karen T. Mercer, ‘60
Ranges from $4,395 to $7,495, depending on cruise category. Airfare is additional.
Single Supplement: $9,195 (category #1) or $9,895 (category #2)
Operator: Thomas P. Gohagan & Co.
Friends & family are welcome—you don't have to be a UW graduate to travel with UW Alumni Tours!