Ancient Heritage of South India
Activity Level: Moderately Active
Experience the rich cultural tapestry, wondrous sights and the incredible diversity of this intriguing country. Focusing on the regions of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka, this tour introduces you to fascinating temples, mouth-watering regional dishes and breathtaking scenery.
Tour highlights include:
- Explore the World Heritage Site of Mahabalipuram with its amazing pagodas and shrines.
- Tour Chennai’s Bronze Museum and its extensive collection of prehistoric and contemporary sculptures and artifacts.
- Walk amongst the 100 intricately carved pillars of the Brihadeeswara Temple and Fort and learn about 10th century Chola architecture and history.
- Visit a private local home and partake of the Pongal Festival activities, followed by a cooking demonstration and a special Pongal Chettinad lunch.
- Learn about growing spices and teas by visiting local plantations outside Periyar
- Admire the elaborate costumes of the Kathakali dancers and enjoy an evening dance performance
- Spend one night cruising the idyllic network of rivers and canals of Kerala on a traditional Kettuvallam houseboat.
- See a demonstration of the martial arts called Kalaripayattu, a forerunner of Karate and Kung-fu.
Visiting Southern India is truly an adventure – join us!
- View photos from UW Alumni Tours' 2009 South India tour.
$4,490 per person plus air
Single Supplement: $1,290 (limited availability)
Operator: Worldview Tours
Friends & family are welcome—you don't have to be a UW graduate to travel with UW Alumni Tours!