University of Washington Alumni Association
Meet. Learn. Cheer. Travel. Act.
Kenya & Tanzania
January 11 - January 27, 2012 Waitlist Only
Activity Level: Mildly Active
Rough it in style on an African safari that journeys from grasslands to highlands, reserves and national parks, and delight in spectacular game drives, amazing landscapes and excellent accommodations. Meet unforgettable local people and experience the true heart of Africa.
Tour highlights include:
- 3-day safari at Masai Mara, Kenya’s premier game reserve, known for its annual wildebeest migration and 200 square miles of animals, vast plains, acacia forests and slow-flowing rivers
- Visit to a traditional Masai village
- 3 days at Serengeti National Park, one of the world’s last great wildlife refuges whose treeless plains offer the best place to view lion and cheetah up close
- Visit to Olduvai Gorge, where in 1959 anthropologist Mary Leaky discovered a 1.8 million-year-old skull that revolutionized the study of human evolution
- Tour of Ngorongoro Crater, perhaps the best place to see Africa’s “Big Five”--elephant, buffalo, rhinoceros, lion and leopard--in one place
- Tour of Nairobi, Kenya’s capital, including a visit to the Giraffe Center and the house and museum of Danish writer Karen Blixen (aka Isak Dinesen), author of Out of Africa
- 14 nights’ accommodations in deluxe or superior first-class hotels and lodges, including 3 nights in a luxury tented camp in Masai Mara
Optional extension tour to Zanzibar, Tanzania takes in UNESCO World Heritage site Stone Town, visit to several spice and fruit plantations and other sightseeing
$6,095 land only or $6,795 group air package from NY or $7,295 with group air package from Seattle or LAX
Single Supplement: $1,395
Operator: Odysseys Unlimited
Friends & family are welcome—you don't have to be a UW graduate to travel with UW Alumni Tours!