University of Washington Alumni Association
Meet. Learn. Cheer. Travel. Act.
Multicultural Alumni Partnership
The Multicultural Alumni Partnership was formed in the spring of 1995 to promote diversity within the Alumni Association and the University community, as well as to encourage students, faculty and alumni from diverse or disadvantaged backgrounds in their studies and careers. The club sponsors the annual Bridging the Gap Breakfast to honor alumni who have made a positive impact on their communities.
2014 MAP Bridging the Gap Breakfast
Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014
Join us for a celebration of diversity in our community and the University of Washington. The Bridging the Gap Breakfast is an exciting opportunity to recognize distinguished alumni winners, raise funds for the MAP Endowed Scholarship and announce the 2014 MAP scholarship recipients. Registration opens soon!
Distinguished Alumni and Community Awards
The awards will be presented at the Bridging the Gap Breakfast on Saturday, October 25, 2014.
This endowed scholarship is available to continuing UW students with at least one quarter of study at the UW. MAP will award up to five scholarships at its Bridging the Gap Breakfast on Homecoming Saturday each year.
Meet the 2013 MAP Scholars:
- Svetlana Belikova, ’14, Communications and Political Science
- Brady Kent, ’14, Earth and Space Science
- Tania Santiago, ’14, Sociology and Education
- Kamaria Carnes, ’14, Psychology (Owen G. Lee Scholarship)
- Ivan Cuevas, ‘14 Master of Social Work (Alfredo Arreguin Scholarship)
- Scott Fung, '14 Master of Public Health (Dr. Lois Price Spratlen Scholarship)
Meet the 2013 MAP scholars.
MAP Scholarship Application
Applications for the 2014 MAP Scholarships are now available online.
The deadline for applying is May 30, 2014.Qualifiations for MAP Scholarships:
- Continuing UW student in good standing
- Full-time undergraduate or graduate student at the University of Washington
- Minimum one quarter at the UW
- Financial aid need as determined by Office of Student Financial Aid
- Scholarship recipients must be present at the Bridging the Gap Breakfast on Saturday, October 25, 2014 in order to receive the scholarship
You can help support the Multicultural Alumni Partnership. Donate online to the MAP Endowed Scholarship Fund that provides access and opportunity for economically disadvantaged UW students.
Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity
For more information about diversity issues and programs at the University of Washington, please visit the Office of Minority Affairs Web site.
2012-14 MAP Board Members & Advisors
President: Dr. Steve Sumida, '82
Vice President: Carmela Lim, ‘05
Treasurer: Diane Martin, '74, '85
Secretary: Fred Johnson
Immediate Past President: Dr. Thaddeus H. Spratlen
At Large Board Members
Kennie Amaefule, '87, '02
Eleanor Cado, '76
Christopher Diangco, '07, '08
Dr. Tracy Hilliard, '00, '03, '10
Frank Irigon, '76, '79
Gwen Jackson, '04
Dr. Sheila Edwards Lange (ex officio), '00, '06
Carmela Lim, '05
Sharon Mast, '70, '75
Santiago Ramos, '02
Dr. Sonnet Retman
Leah Reuben-Werner, '07
Les Sessoms, '89
Dr. Jim SImmons, '63, '69, '74
Dr. Myron Apilado
Jim Cacabelos, '84
Dr. Nadine Chan, ‘01
Elaine Chang, '83
Cynthia del Rosario, '94, ‘96
Dr. Carver Gayton, '60, '62, '76
Elena Guevara, '88
Dr. Sandra Madrid, '81, '85
Dr. Larry Matsuda, '67, '73, '78
Dr. Terryl Ross, '03
Dr. Millie Russell, '80, '86, '88
Dr. Carol Simmons, '68
Justin Simmons, '93
Vivian O. Lee