To recognize William P. Gerberding's 16 years of service to the University of Washington, the Board of Regents renamed the Administration Building "William P. Gerberding Hall" June 9.
The five-story structure, built in 1949, sits on the south side of "Red Square" and houses major administrative offices, such as the president's and provost's quarters, the Graduate School, the regents' meeting room, and the departments for the UW budget, development and university relations.
Just nine days previously, the UW community held an outdoors fair titled "Gerbfest" to honor the outgoing President. Activities on "Red Square" included speeches, performances by the UW Jazz Ensemble and free cake handed out by Gerberding himself.
Gerberding, who stepped down as the UW's 27th president on Aug. 31, plans to spend some time traveling with his wife, Ruth. They are living in a condominium near Seattle's Pike Place Market. He is also on the boards of several corporations and local arts organizations. In the fall of 1996 he plans to return to campus on a part-time basis and do some teaching.
Return to September 1995 Table of Contents