Bill Gates Sr. Shares His Students Memories, His Family's Many UW Ties and Why He Is Leading the Record-Breaking $2 Billion Campaign UW.
By Tom Griffin
Raising the Stakes
The UW Launches a $2 Billion Effort to Create a Better University - and a Better World.
By Joanne De Pue
10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About UW History
The UW Vikings? A Yearbook Made Out of a Log? A Campus in Bellevue? Here's Our List of Forgotten Incidents and Items from the UW's Past.
By Jon Marmor
Striking a Nerve
It's Inherited, It's Incurable and It Hits More Than 150,000 Americans Each Year - Yet Most of Us Never Hear of 'CMT' Untill It Strikes Close to Home.
By Brad Broberg
- Fewer Freshmen Coming to UW as Access Pressures Mount. The entering freshman class this fall will be about 200 students smaller than last year's class as the UW shrinks its student population to match state funding levels.
- Teen Binge Drinking Leads to Obesity by Mid-20s. Drinkers who start bingeing in their teens are nearly four times as likely to be obese by age 24, say UW researchers.
- UW Athletics Ranks Among Top 10 in Nation. Out of more than 300 athletic programs in NCCA Division I, the UW ranked eighth in the nation in this year's Directors' Cup.
- Come Together Washington. A historic celebration of the University of Washington, featuring Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates as the keynote speaker, takes place Oct. 15.
- Panel to Investigate UW Medicine Billing Errors. The UW Medicine Board named a six-member panel to review the problems that led to a $35 million settlement with the federal government over billing errors.
- Past Stars of Football, Basketball, Crew and Swimming Honored by UW. Four former student-athletes, one coach and two teams will be inducted into the Husky Hall of Fame Nov. 5.
- An Award That Speaks Volumes: UW Libraries System Is Best in Nation. The University Libraries wins the highest honor an academic library system can receive.
- Sports Management Veteran Tapped to Lead UW Athletics. Todd Turner, former athletic director at Vanderbilt University, replaces Barbara Hedges as the UW's 15th athletic director.
- UW Will Study Link Between Air Pollution, Heart Disease in EPA $30 Million Grant. The largest research grant ever awarded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency goes to the UW to study air pollution and cardiovascular disease.
- Education Initiative I-884 Qualifies for November Ballot. Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed announced Aug. 2 that Initiative I-884 has sufficient valid signatures to qualify for a spot on the statewide ballot in November.
- Milestones. Updates, Appointments, and Honors.
- Lincoln Kennedy
One of the best lineman ever to come out of UW, Kennedy retired after 11 years in the NFL.
- Asondra Hunter
Asondra Hunter, '87, has come a long way since her student job as a pickle processor.
- Eugene Pizzuto, 1925 - 2004
The longtime UW art professor well known for his abstract landscape paintings died in March.
- Howard Nostrand, 1910 - 2004
A UW Professor and lover of the French way of living, Nostrand dedicated his to life to creating awareness between cultures.
- West Point Grad Came Home to UW—Now She Leads All UW Alumni. As the new UWAA President, Karen Turner Lee brings a unique background and perspective.
- Multicultural Group Honors Alumni Who Have Made a Difference. Distinguished alumni and community members will be honored at the annual gala.
- New Speakers, Same Topic: UW History Lecture Series Starts Sept. 30. A varied group of speakers, including President Emmert, will tell the story of the University of 1000 Years.
- UWAA Clubs and Chapters
- UWAA Events Calendar
- UW Alumni Association Board of Trustees
- How to Join the UW Alumni Association