Mark Emmert Rose from a Modest Background to Remarkable Success at the Helm of Two Public Universities. Now He Faces the Greatest Challenge of His CareerPresident of His Alma Mater.
By Tom Griffin
A Farm Girl From the Yakima Valley, Bonnie Dunbar Used Her Love of Science and Dogged Determination to Become an Astronautand the Alumna of the Year.
By Jon Marmor
Class of Distinction
The UW Honors Its Top Faculty, TAs, Volunteers and Staff.
By Renata Birkenbuel, Jill Carnell and Erin Driscoll
- Instead of Cuts, Lawmakers Add Funds to UW in Latest Budget. The state makes a "down payment" on UW's overenrollment woes and gives research construction a tax break.
- Future Nurses, Aerospace Engineers Benefit from New Endowments. A respected aerospace engineer and his wife enrich the academic programs they took when they were UW students.
- UW Probe Finds Drug Overuse in Softball; Pac-10 Exonerates UW on Coach's Gambling. A volunteer team doctor improperly prescribed and distributed prescription drugs to softball players.
- TAs, RAs Approve Union; Bargaining Begins with UW. In March teaching and research assistants voted to authorize union representation.
- The Lowdown on "Marrying Up"Smart Women Getting Married More Often. Higher education is not the hindrance to marriage and motherhood it once was.
- UW Pays Record $35 Million to Settle Government Billing Fraud Claims. A four-year investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice ends with UW-affiliated physician plans settling a lawsuit over bills it sent to Medicare, Medicaid and other government programs.
- Donors Leverage Gifts Under New Matching Plan. Gifts of $100,000 or more may be matched on a 2 to 1 basis under this new program.
- Milestones. Updates, Appointments, and Honors.
- For Matsuda, Childhood Hardships Held Lifelong Lessons. In the aftermath of his family's incarceration in a World War II interment camp, Larry Matsuda learned a great lesson: how to live a life of dignity.
- Legendary History Professor Returns to Tell Legendary History of the UW. Jon Bridgman returns this fall to give a lecture series on the history of the university.
- Covering All the Bases: Alumni to Tour Safeco Field. Learn about the engineeering secrets of Safeco Field during this behind-the-scenes tour.
- Tapping the Power of the Matrix: Career Connections Aids Huskies. Over 4,000 alumni volunteer to help grads find jobs.
- UWAA Clubs and Chapters
- UWAA Events Calendar
- UW Alumni Association Board of Trustees
- How to Join the UW Alumni Association